Engel’s Law Reconsidered
Engel's verbal formulation of his Law expresses a "negativ stochastic association" of the bivariate distribution of income and food share across the population. Among the many different definitions of association four are chosen: Kendall's tau, negative quadrant dependence, stochastically decreasing conditional food share distribution functions, and decreasing regression. To link Engel's Law with individual behavior a decreasing regression is not sufficient, the stronger notion of associations are needed. This motivates the empirical analysis of section 4. It is shown that the above notions of associations are well supported by empirical evidence.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Newson, 2002. "Parameters behind "nonparametric" statistics: Kendall's tau,Somers' D and median differences," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 45-64, February.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Joachim Engel & Alois Kneip, 1996. "Recent approaches to estimating Engel curves," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 187-212, June.
- Richard W. Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian A. Crawford, 2003.
"Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 205-240, January.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1998. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," Discussion Papers 99-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 2002. "Nonparametric Engel Curves and Revealed Preference," CAM Working Papers 2002-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Ian Crawford, 1997. "Non-parametric Engel curves and revealed preferences," IFS Working Papers W97/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521335614 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355, April.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse22_2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.