Firm Size, Economic Situation and Influence Activities
This paper discusses the optimal firm size in the presence of influence activities, and the level of individual rent-seeking dependent on the economic situation of the firm. Since size has a discouraging effect on the level of individual rent-seeking but also a quantity effect as the number of rent-seekers increases, the interplay of both effects determines whether the employer chooses an inefficiently small or large firm size. In the given setting, a bad economic situation leads to both a higher probability of a substantial loss and a reduction of productivity. The productivity effect and the two other effects together determine the optimal level of individual rent-seeking.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany|
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fairburn, James A. & Malcomson, James M., 1994.
"Rewarding performance by promotion to a different job,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 683-690, April.
- Fairburn, J.A. & Malcomson, J.M., 1993. "Rewarding performance by promotion to a different job," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9316, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Roman Inderst & Holger Müller & Karl Wärneryd, 2005.
"Influence costs and hierarchy,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 177-197, 07.
- Inderst, Roman & Müller, Holger M. & Wärneryd, Karl, 2000. "Influence Costs and Hierarchy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 392, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Inderst, Roman & Müller, Holger M. & Wärneryd, Karl, 2000. "Influence Costs and Hierarchy," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 00-30, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Gibbons, Robert, 2005. "Four forma(lizable) theories of the firm?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 200-245, October.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Schmitz, Patrick W., 2000.
""Yes Men," Integrity, and the Optimal Design of Incentive Contracts,"
12534, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Schmitz, Patrick W., 2000. ""Yes men", integrity, and the optimal design of incentive contracts," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 115-125, September.
- Prendergast, Canice, 1993. "A Theory of "Yes Men."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 757-70, September.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000.
"The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2537-2564, December.
- David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "The Dark Side of Internal Capital Markets: Divisional Rent-Seeking and Inefficient Investment," NBER Working Papers 5969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konrad, Kai A, 2000. "Sabotage in Rent-Seeking Contests," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 155-65, April.
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M & Wärneryd, Karl, 2002.
"Distributional Conflict in Organisations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baron, David P. & Besanko, David, 1984. "Regulation and information in a continuing relationship," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 267-302.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2004.
"Bidding in hierarchies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1301-1308, December.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2003.
"Bidding in hierarchies
[Das Bieten in Hierarchien]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2003-27, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Konrad, Kai A., 2003. "Bidding in hierarchies
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Zechner, Josef, 1993. " Influence Costs and Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 975-1008, July.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1989. "Pay Equality and Industrial Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 561-80, June.
- Bengt Holmstrom & John Roberts, 1998. "The Boundaries of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 73-94, Fall.
- Scott Schaefer, 1998. "Influence Costs, Structural Inertia, and Organizational Change," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 237-263, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse16_2006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.