A way of explaining unemployment through a wage-setting game
We investigate a duopsonistic wage-setting game in which the firms have a limited number of workplaces. We assume that the firms have heterogeneous productivity, that there are two types of workers with different reservation wages and that a worker's productivity is independent of his type. We show that equilibrium unemployment arises in the wage-setting game under certain conditions, although the efficient allocation of workers would result in full employment.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Jonathan & Thisse, Jacques-François & Zenou, Yves, 1999.
"Wage Competition with Heterogeneous Workers and Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2141, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamilton, Jonathan & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "Wage Competition with Heterogeneous Workers and Firms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 453-72, July.
- Wauthy, Xavier & Zenou, Yves, 2001.
"How Does Imperfect Competition in the Labor Market Affect Unemployment Policies?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
340, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wauthy, Xavier & Zenou, Yves, 2002. " How Does Imperfect Competition in the Labor Market Affect Unemployment Policies?," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 417-36.
- Wauthy, Xavier & Zenou, Yves, 2001. "How Does Imperfect Competition in the Labour Market Affect Unemployment Policies?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2902, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon, Leo K, 1987. "Games with Discontinuous Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 569-97, October.
- Gottfries, N. & Mccormick, B., 1990.
"Discrimination And Open Unemployment In A Segmented Labour Market,"
460, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Gottfries, Nils & McCormick, Barry, 1995. "Discrimination and open unemployment in a segmented labour market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Gottfries, N. & McCormick, B., 1993. "Discrimination and open unemployment in a segmented labour market," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9320, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- James B. Rebitzer & Lowell J. Taylor, 1991.
"The Consequences of Minimum Wage Laws: Some New Theoretical Ideas,"
NBER Working Papers
3877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebitzer, James B. & Taylor, Lowell J., 1995. "The consequences of minimum wage laws Some new theoretical ideas," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 245-255, February.
- Albert Ma, Ching-to & Weiss, Andrew M., 1993.
"A signaling theory of unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 135-157, January.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Weiss, Andrew W, 1980. "Job Queues and Layoffs in Labor Markets with Flexible Wages," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(3), pages 526-38, June.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1993. "Assignment Models of the Distribution of Earnings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 831-80, June.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "Skill mismatch and unemployment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 415-420, December.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse14_2003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.