Income taxation and production efficiency in a simple two-sector economy
In a recent contribution, H. Naito (1999) has shown that production efficiency may be violated in the optimum with non-linear income taxation. Using a slightly simpler framework, this paper complements Naito's analysis in showing that production efficiency does not hold in the optimum with (i) non-linear and (ii) linear income taxation provided that second best and first best do not coincide. These findings indicate that income taxation generally implies the desirability to complement the distortion between consumer and producer prices by means of a corresponding distortion in input prices.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eggert, Wolfgang & Haufler, Andreas, 1999.
"Capital taxation and production efficiency in an open economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 85-90, January.
- Eggert, Wolfgang & Haufler, Andreas, 1999. "Capital taxation and production efficiency in an open economy," Munich Reprints in Economics 20564, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Naito, Hisahiro, 1999. "Re-examination of uniform commodity taxes under a non-linear income tax system and its implication for production efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 165-188, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521497695 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guesnerie Roger & Seade Jesus, 1981.
"Nonlinear pricing in a finite economy,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stern, Nicholas, 1982. "Optimum taxation with errors in administration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 181-211, March.
- Dreze, Jean & Stern, Nicholas, 1990. "Policy reform, shadow prices, and market prices," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-45, June.
- Allen, Franklin, 1982. "Optimal linear income taxation with general equilibrium effects on wages," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 135-143, March.
- Michael Keen & David E. Wildasin, 2000.
"Pareto Efficiency in International Taxation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
371, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1982.
"Self-selection and Pareto efficient taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 213-240, March.
- Munk, Knud Jorgen, 1980. "Optimal Taxation with Some Non-Taxable Commodities," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 755-65, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse14_2000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.