Randomization in contracts with endogenous information
I consider a situation, where the agent can acquire payoff-relevant information either before or after the contract is signed. To raise efficiency, the principal might solicit information; to retain all surplus, however, she must prevent precontractual information gathering. The following class of stochastic contracts may solve this trade-off optimally: before signing, information acquisition is not solicited, and afterwards randomly. The key insight is that randomization makes precontractual information costlier for the agent.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dezsö SZALAY, 2004.
"Contracts with Endogenous Information,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
04.05, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Dezso Szalay, 2006. "Contracts with Endogenous Information," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 780, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Khalil, F & Rochet, J-C, 1997.
"Contracts and Productive Information Gathering,"
97-16, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Cremer, J. & Khalil, F. & Rochet, J-C., 1997. "Contracts and Productive Information Gathering," Papers 97.468, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Cremer, J. & Khalil, F. & Rochet, J-C., 1997. "Contracts and productive information gathering," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9707, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Khalil, F & Rochet, J-C, 1997. "Contracts and Productive Information Gathering," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 97-16, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Cremer, J. & Khalil, F., 1991.
"Gathering Information Before Signing a Contract,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
91-16, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Crémer, Jacques & Khalil, Fahad, 1991. "Gathering Information before Signing a Contract," IDEI Working Papers 5, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Cremer, J. & Khalil, F., 1991. "Gathering Information Before Signing a Contract," Working Papers 91-16, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521585293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Compte & Philippe Jehiel, 2008.
"Gathering Information before signing a contract: A screening perspective,"
- Compte, Olivier & Jehiel, Philippe, 2008. "Gathering information before signing a contract: A screening perspective," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 206-212, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1984.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
590, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sappington, David, 1983. "Limited liability contracts between principal and agent," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Kovác, Eugen & Mylovanov, Tymofiy, 2009. "Stochastic mechanisms in settings without monetary transfers: The regular case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(4), pages 1373-1395, July.
- Strausz, Roland, 2006.
"Deterministic versus stochastic mechanisms in principal-agent models,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 306-314, May.
- Roland Strausz, . "Deterministic versus Stochastic Mechanisms in Principal--Agent Models," Papers 020, Departmental Working Papers.
- Rasul, Imran & Sonderegger, Silvia, 2010.
"The role of the agent's outside options in principal-agent relationships,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 781-788, March.
- Imran Rasul & Silvia Sonderegger, 2008. "The Role of the Agent's Outside Options in Principal-Agent Relationships," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 08/605, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1997. "Information Management in Incentive Problems," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Anke Kessler, 1998. "The Value of Ignorance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(2), pages 339-354, Summer.
- Krähmer, Daniel & Strausz, Roland, 2010. "Optimal Procurement Contracts with Preâ€“Project Planning," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 303, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bon:bonedp:bgse07_2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.