Shared Perceptions of Green? The perception and acceptance of European Union values and rules in environmental policy in Jordan
The European Union has presented itself as a leading actor in global environmental politics, exporting its values and rules not only into global environmental agreements but also promoting these in their relations with the neighbouring countries to the southern Mediterranean. Academic attention for the promotion and exportation of the EU model has been high and two central debates have emerged, the EU as a normative power and EU external governance which are, as the paper argues, based on the common notion of the EU exporting its model and therefore complementary. While many empirical studies on the concepts exist, the paper argues that an external perspective has been largely disregarded. The paper will therefore give an empirical assessment on how the notion of EU exporting its values and rules is perceived by the recipient country of Jordan.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||The working paper is based on field research that has been conducted between March and May 2011 in Jordan as one of two Mediterranean country studies for the PhD project titled "The perception of the European Union as an environmental actor in the Mediterranean partner countries". An earlier version of this paper was presented at the annual conference of the Swiss Political Science Association in Lucerne, 2.-3. February 2012.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institute of Development Research and Development Policy, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitaetsstr. 150, D-44801 Bochum, Germany|
Web page: http://www.development-research.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judith Kelley, 2006. "New Wine in Old Wineskins: Promoting Political Reforms through the New European Neighbourhood Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 29-55, 03.
- Sibylle Scheipers & Daniela Sicurelli, 2007. "Normative Power Europe: A Credible Utopia?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 435-457, 06.
- Michelle Pace, 2007. "The Construction of EU Normative Power," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 1041-1064, December.
- Tuomas Forsberg, 2011. "Normative Power Europe, Once Again: A Conceptual Analysis of an Ideal Type," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(6), pages 1183-1204, November.
- Ian Manners, 2002. "Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 235-258, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bom:ieewps:195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorothee Sensen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.