Innovation, productivity and export. Evidence from Italy
Recent developments in the new international trade theory stressed the relationship between firm heterogeneity and internationalization performance. The key prediction of these models is that firms with different levels of productivity - the main source of firm heterogeneity - will generally engage in different modes of internationalization depending on the level of sunk costs incurred in acquiring information on foreign markets, establishing distribution channels, and so on. However, in these theoretical models the sources of productivity are generally unexplained, considering firm heterogeneity as exogenous. A few papers try to open the 'black box' of firm heterogeneity and to show that internationalized firms are generally more innovative, use more knowledge-intensive workers, and are characterized by superior organizational and managerial practices. Using a large sample of over 3000 Italian manufacturing firms for the period 2001-2003, we contribute to this debate employing, and extending the basic CrÃ©pon, Duguet and Mairesse (CDM) model. We estimate a five-equation model which identifies the links (correlations) between innovation investment, innovation output, firm productivity and export performance.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it/prin/prin2008/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Loof & Almas Heshmati, 2006.
"On the relationship between innovation and performance: A sensitivity analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 317-344.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2001. "On the Relationship between Innovation and Performance: A sensitivity Analysis," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0446, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2001.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2000.
"Knowledge Capital and Performance Heterogeneity: A Firm Level Innovation Study,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
387, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 14 Aug 2000.
- Loof, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Knowledge capital and performance heterogeneity: : A firm-level innovation study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-85, March.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
NBER Working Papers
6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Alfredo Minerva & Lorenzo Casaburi & Valeria Gattai, 2008.
"Firms’ International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence From Italy,"
2008.3, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lorenzo Casaburi & Valeria Gattai & G. Alfredo Minerva, 2007. "Firms' International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence from Italy," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(3), pages 151-188, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:prinwp:014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.