The interest rate sensitivity of output in Finland
Monetary policy affects the economy through the exchange rate and interest rates.It is assumed that the relationship between interest rates and GDP is negative and that interest rates affect GDP more powerfully than the other way around.These conclusions are confirmed here.Estimated elasticities--which compare annual percentage changes in GDP to annual percentage changes in the interest rate-produce interest rate elasticity close to unity.It should also be stressed that a nominal interest rate effect is found instead of a real rate effect both in GDP and its components. For private consumption, the interest rate measures the relative future price of consumption, which includes substitution and income effects.According to estimations the interest rate elasticity for non-durable consumption is around -0.4, which indicates the dominance of the substitution effect. For durable purchases, the interest rate elasticity is much higher and is also volatile.Rough estimate showed that the interest rate elasticity for durables could be around -4.0. For private investment, the interest rate measures the opportunity cost of investment and a cost factor in debt financing.Financial deregulation has obscured the importance of interest rates in determining manufacturing investment.It seems that during the boom years domestic lending rates lost their significance in affecting investment plans.A rough estimate for a long-term interest rate elasticity of manufacturing investment could be -2.On the other hand financial deregulation has clearly increased the power of interest rates in determining the level of housing investment. During 1980s the real lending rate became a significant determinant of housing investment, and we cannot reject the hypothesis of unitary elasticity, ie. elasticity of -1.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beverly Hirtle & Jeanette Kelleher, 1990.
"Financial market evolution and the interest sensitivity of output,"
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 56-70.
- Beverly Hirtle & Jeanette Kelleher, 1990. "Financial market evolution and the interest sensitivity of output," Research Paper 9013, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Are forecasting models usable for policy analysis?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-16.
- Mullins, Mark & Wadhwani, Sushil B., 1989. "The effect of the stock market on investment: a comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 939-956, May.
- Mullins, M. & Wadhwani, S., 1988. "The Effect Of The Stock Market On Investment: A Comparative Study," Papers 329, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Changyong Rhee & Lawrence Summers, 1993. "The Stock Market, Profit, and Investment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 115-136.
- Olivier Blanchard & Changyong Rhee & Lawrence Summers, 1990. "The Stock Market, Profit and Investment," NBER Working Papers 3370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, O. & Rhee, C. & Summers, L., 1990. "The Stock Market, Profit And Investment," RCER Working Papers 233, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kajanoja, Lauri, 1995. "Aggregate investment and corporate indebtedness , Some empirical avidence from Finland," Research Discussion Papers 10/1995, Bank of Finland.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-740, August.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992. "Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chadha, Bankim & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1998. "Inflation, nominal interest rates and the variability of output," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 547-573, October.
- Chadha, Bankim & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1994. "Inflation, Nominal Interest Rates and the Variability of Output," CEPR Discussion Papers 1068, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bankim Chadha & Daniel Tsiddon, 1996. "Inflation, Nominal Interest Rates, and the Variability of Output," IMF Working Papers 96/109, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986. "Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986. "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation," NBER Working Papers 1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Koskenkyla, Heikki & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. " Manufacturing Investment and Taxation in the Nordic Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 443-461.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-921, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "The Stock Market and Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 115-131.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "The Stock Market and Investment," NBER Working Papers 2925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1990. "Consumption and investment," Handbook of Monetary Economics,in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 725-778 Elsevier.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1988. "Consumption and Investment," NBER Working Papers 2580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Stanley & Merton, Robert C., 1984. "Macroeconomics and finance: The role of the stock market," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 57-108, January.
- Stanley Fischer & Robert C. Merton, 1984. "Macroeconomics and Finance: The Role of the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 1291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 1977. "Investment, Interest Rates, and the Effects of Stabilization Policies," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 8(1), pages 61-122.
- repec:fth:harver:1491 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kari Takala & Matti Tuomala, 1990. "Housing investment in Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 41-53, Spring.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-224, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Koskenkylä, Heikki & Södersten, Jan, 1994. "Manufacturing investment and taxation in the Nordic countries," Research Discussion Papers 8/1994, Bank of Finland. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bof:bofrdp:1995_011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.