IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/p/bfi/wpaper/2011-011.html
   My bibliography  Save this paper

Stock Prices and the Doctor Supply: Effect of Medicare Residency Policy on Healthcare Industry Firms

Author

Listed:
  • Jonathan Hartley

    (Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago)

Abstract

Funding for medical residencies has been capped by US Congress since the late 1997, and has resultantly become an increasingly limiting factor of the doctor supply in the US. The resulting impact of Medicare residency policy on managed care firms, especially private insurers has been unclear. Using equity price data for healthcare firms listed in the S&P Health Index, I use the surprise introduction of the Resident Physician Shortage Reduction Act of 2009 and its proposed amendment to a major healthcare overhaul bill, to evaluate the market's assessment of expanded medical residency programs on the healthcare industry. Using tight three-day event study periods to look at when the bill was unexpectedly introduced in Congress and amended to the overhaul bill, I find Cumulative Average Abnormal Returns for Managed Care Firms of 10.9% and 4.2%, respectively, corresponding to an increase in total market value of approximately $5.5 billion and $2 billion. I also find that roughly 27% of the cost of the bill is passed on to firms while the remaining 73% is either passed on to consumers or lost to static inefficiencies.

Suggested Citation

  • Jonathan Hartley, 2011. "Stock Prices and the Doctor Supply: Effect of Medicare Residency Policy on Healthcare Industry Firms," Working Papers 2011-011, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
  • Handle: RePEc:bfi:wpaper:2011-011
    as

    Download full text from publisher

    File URL: https://econresearch.uchicago.edu/sites/econresearch.uchicago.edu/files/BFI_2011-011.pdf
    Download Restriction: no

    References listed on IDEAS

    as
    1. Milton Friedman & Simon Kuznets, 1954. "Income from Independent Professional Practice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie54-1.
    2. Mohamad Al-Ississ & Nolan H. Miller, 2010. "What Does Health Reform Mean for the Healthcare Industry? Evidence from the Massachusetts Special Senate Election," NBER Working Papers 16193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
    Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)

    More about this item

    Keywords

    legislatures; voting behavior; information and market efficiency; event studies; analysis of health care markets; industrial policy;

    JEL classification:

    • D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
    • G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
    • I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
    • L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods

    NEP fields

    This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfi:wpaper:2011-011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toni Shears). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/mfichus.html .

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    If CitEc recognized a reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

    IDEAS is a RePEc service hosted by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis . RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.