Unit Roots in White Noise
We show that the empirical distribution of the roots of the vector auto-regression of order n fitted to T observations of a general stationary or non-stationary process, converges to the uniform distribution over the unit circle on the complex plane, when both T and n tend to infinity so that (ln T ) /n â†’ 0 and n3/T â†’ 0. In particular, even if the process is a white noise, the roots of the estimated vector auto-regression will converge by absolute value to unity.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://bfi.uchicago.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clive W. J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2006. "Dynamics of Model Overfitting Measured in terms of Autoregressive Roots," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 347-365, 05.
- Ulrich Mueller & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Testing Models of Low-Frequency Variability,"
NBER Working Papers
12671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewis, Richard & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1985. "Prediction of multivariate time series by autoregressive model fitting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 393-411, June.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, HELMUT, 1996. "Infinite-Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 814-844, December.
- Soren JOHANSEN, 2001.
"The Asymptotic Variance of the Estimated Roots in a Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2001/01, European University Institute.
- Søren Johansen, 2003. "The asymptotic variance of the estimated roots in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 663-678, November.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008.
"Properties of Estimated Characteristic Roots,"
08-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of estimated characteristic roots," Economics Series Working Papers 2008-WO7, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of etimated characteristic roots," Economics Papers 2008-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfi:wpaper:2009-004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toni Shears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.