From transfers to tax "co-occupation": the Italian reform of intergovernmental finance
The paper provides some insights into the current reform of the system of intergovernmental relations in Italy. A most relevant change is the abolition of transfers from a higher level of government as an ordinary means of finance for sub-central governments, with the exception of grants having an explicit equalisation purpose. Since the room for autonomous local taxes is quite narrow, transfers are going to be substituted, to a large extent, by different forms of "co-occupation" of central taxes. Using the OECD taxonomy about tax autonomy, it is shown that the effective increase in "infra-marginal" tax autonomy of sub-central governments brought about by the reform will be quite modest. At the margin, however, where autonomy really matters, there could be enough room for the exercise of effective discretion. The main problem is that both the central and the sub-central governments fear the decentralisation of tax power. The former because it feels that, at least in the transitional period, the electorate might not properly distinguish the different fiscal responsibilities; the latter because they would prefer not to tax their electorate, notwithstanding their preferences for more stable and predictable sources of finance with respect to the current system.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dse.uniba.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rie:review:v:14:y:2009:i:1:n:6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Bergvall & Claire Charbit & Dirk-Jan Kraan & Olaf Merk, 2006.
"Intergovernmental Transfers and Decentralised Public Spending,"
OECD Working Papers on Fiscal Federalism
3, OECD Publishing.
- Daniel Bergvall & Claire Charbit & Dirk-Jan Kraan & Olaf Merk, 2005. "Intergovernmental Transfers and Decentralised Public Spending," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 5(4), pages 111-158.
- Gastaldi Francesca & Longobardi Ernesto & Zanardi Alberto, 2009. "Sharing the Personal Income Tax among Levels of Government: Some Open Issues from the Italian Experience," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 157-190.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521732116 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521518215 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bai:series:wp0038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruggiero Marco Paolillo)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ruggiero Marco Paolillo to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.