The Design of Permit Schemes and Environmental Innovation
Most real world emission permit schemes are in effect hybrid instruments that feature both quantity and price controls. While the effects of price bounds are well understood for issues such as uncertain abatement costs it has not been investigated how such bounds affect time-consistency of environmental regulation and research incentives. The present paper analyzes these issues for two types of innovation. While price bounds increase static efficiency they reduce incentives to innovate. Commitment on details of a scheme’s design might be necessary to avoid the latter.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Grabengasse 14, D-69117 Heidelberg|
Phone: +49-6221-54 2905
Fax: +49-6221-54 2914
Web page: http://www.awi.uni-heidelberg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2005.
"Environmental Regulation and the Eco-Industry,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 141-155, 09.
- Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné & Maia David, 2005. "Environmental Regulationand the Eco-Industry," Working Papers 2005.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2004. "Environmental Regulation and the Eco-industry," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-42, CIRANO.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2004. "Environmental Regulation and the Eco-Industry," Working Papers 2004/06, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2005. "Environmental regulation and the eco-industry," Working Papers hal-00243019, HAL.
- Requate, Till & Unold, Wolfram, 2003. "Environmental policy incentives to adopt advanced abatement technology:: Will the true ranking please stand up?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 125-146, February.
- Krysiak, Frank C., 2008. "Prices vs. quantities: The effects on technology choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1275-1287, June.
- Till Requate, 2005. "Timing and Commitment of Environmental Policy, Adoption of New Technology, and Repercussions on R&D," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(2), pages 175-199, 06.
- Grischa Perino, 2006.
"The Merits of New Pollutants and How to Get Them When Patents Are Granted,"
0426, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Grischa Perino, 2008. "The merits of new pollutants and how to get them when patents are granted," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 313-327, July.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Abrego, Lisandro & Perroni, Carlo, 1999.
"Investment Subsidies and Time-Consistent Environmental Policy,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
533, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lisandro Abrego & Carlo Perroni, 2002. "Investment subsidies and Time-Consistent Environmental Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 617-635, October.
- Lisandro Abrego & Carlo Perroni, "undated". "Investment Subsidies and Time-Consistent Environmental Policy," EPRU Working Paper Series 99-19, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Roberts, Marc J. & Spence, Michael, 1976. "Effluent charges and licenses under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 193-208.
- Laffont, J.J. & Tirole, J., 1995.
"Pollution Permits and Environmental Innovation,"
95.396, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Requate, Till, 2005. "Dynamic incentives by environmental policy instruments--a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2-3), pages 175-195, August.
- Adam Jaffe & Richard Newell & Robert Stavins, 2002. "Environmental Policy and Technological Change," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 41-70, June.
- Denicolo, Vincenzo, 1999.
"Pollution-Reducing Innovations under Taxes or Permits,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 184-199, January.
- V. Denicolo, 1997. "Pollution-Reducing Innovations Under Taxes or Permits," Working Papers 281, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Pizer, William A., 2002. "Combining price and quantity controls to mitigate global climate change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 409-434, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:awi:wpaper:0467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabi Rauscher)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.