Coping with People’s Inflation Perceptions During a Currency Changeover
The gap between actual and perceived inflation is one of the more unexpected consequences of the euro changeover in January 2002. In this note we argue that this gap was caused by a lack of preparation and experience of the authorities to appropriately communicate with the public during the changeover. Using principles of crisis communication we identify the mistakes made and give policy recommendations for future changeovers.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Grabengasse 14, D-69117 Heidelberg|
Phone: +49-6221-54 2905
Fax: +49-6221-54 2914
Web page: http://www.awi.uni-heidelberg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bettina Isengard & Thorsten Schneider, 2006. "The euro and its perception in the German population," Discussion Papers 011, Europa-Universität Flensburg, International Institute of Management.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005.
"The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009. "The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, 02.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2008.
"Welfare effects of the euro cash changeover,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 571-586, September.
- Wunder, Christoph & Schwarze, Johannes & Krug, Gerhard & Herzog, Bodo, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," IZA Discussion Papers 2508, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christoph Wunder & Johannes Schwarze & Gerhard Krug & Bodo Herzog, 2006. "Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 646, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eife, Thomas, 2006. "Currency Changeovers as Natural Experiments," Munich Dissertations in Economics 5839, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Luc Aucremanne & Marianne Collin & Thomas Stragier, 2007. "Assessing the Gap between Observed and Perceived Inflation in the Euro Area : Is the Credibility of the HICP at Stake ?," Working Paper Research 112, National Bank of Belgium.
- Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "Rational inattention, inflation developments and perceptions after the euro cash changeover," Working Paper Series 0588, European Central Bank.
- Brachinger, Hans Wolfgang, 2006. "Euro or “Teuro”?: The Euro-induced Perceived Inflation in Germany," DQE Working Papers 5, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2005. "Perceived Inflation in Austria – Extent, Explanations, Effects," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22–47.
- Thomas A. Eife & Stephan Meier, 2007. "Costly Inflation Misperceptions," Working Papers 0455, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2007.
- Thomas A. Eife, 2006. "Price setting behaviour and price setting regulations at the euro changeover," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-06, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Oct 2006.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:awi:wpaper:0435. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabi Rauscher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.