The Merits of New Pollutants and How to Get Them When Patents Are Granted
The performance of market based environmental regulation is affected by patents and vice versa. This interaction is studied for a new type of innovation where new technologies reduce emissions of a specific pollutant but at the same time cause a new type of damage. A robust finding is that the efficiency of permits is affected by monopoly pricing of the patent-holding firm. This result carries over to other types of innovation. Taxes are inefficient if technologies produce perfect substitutes and share all scarce inputs. Moreover, the optimal tax on pollution might be negative.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Grabengasse 14, D-69117 Heidelberg|
Phone: +49-6221-54 2905
Fax: +49-6221-54 2914
Web page: http://www.awi.uni-heidelberg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Devlin & R. Grafton, 1994.
"Tradeable permits, missing markets, and technology,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Devlin, R.A. & Grafton, R.Q., 1993. "Tradeable Permits, Missing Markets, and Technology," Working Papers 9301e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Sjak Smulders & Lucas Bretschger & Hannes Egli, 2005. "Economic growth and the diffusion of clean technologies : explaining environmental Kuznets," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 05/42, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Parry, Ian W. H. & Pizer, William A., 2003.
"Instrument choice for environmental protection when technological innovation is endogenous,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 523-545, May.
- Parry, Ian & Pizer, William & Fischer, Carolyn, 1998. "Instrument Choice for Environmental Protection When Technological Innovation is Endogenous," Discussion Papers dp-99-04, Resources For the Future.
- Grischa Perino, 2006.
"The Merits of New Pollutants and How to Get Them When Patents Are Granted,"
0426, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Grischa Perino, 2008. "The merits of new pollutants and how to get them when patents are granted," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 313-327, July.
- Goeschl, Timo & Perino, Grischa, 2007.
"Innovation without magic bullets: Stock pollution and R&D sequences,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 146-161, September.
- Timo Goeschl & Grischa Perino, 2006. "Innovation Without Magic Bullets: Stock Pollution and R&D Sequences," Working Papers 0436, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- V. Denicolo, 1997.
"Pollution-Reducing Innovations Under Taxes or Permits,"
281, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Denicolo, Vincenzo, 1999. "Pollution-Reducing Innovations under Taxes or Permits," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 184-99, January.
- Michael Greenstone, 2003. "Estimating Regulation-Induced Substitution: The Effect of the Clean Air Act on Water and Ground Pollution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 442-448, May.
- Lori D. Snyder & Nolan H. Miller & Robert N. Stavins, 2003.
"The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Technology Diffusion: The Case of Chlorine Manufacturing,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 431-435, May.
- Snyder, Lori & Miller, Nolan & Stavins, Robert, 2003. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Technology Diffusion: The Case of Chlorine Manufacturing," Working Paper Series rwp03-014, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Stavins, Robert & Snyder, Lori & Miller, Nolan, 2003. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation On Technology Diffusion: The Case of Chlorine Manufacturing," Discussion Papers dp-03-25, Resources For the Future.
- Lori Snyder & Nolan Miller & Robert Stavins, 2003. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Technology Diffusion: The Case of Chlorine Manufacturing," Working Papers 2003.48, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kathryn Harrison & Werner Antweiler, 2003. "Incentives for pollution abatement: Regulation, regulatory threats, and non-governmental pressures," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 361-382.
- Requate, Till, 2003. "Commitment and Timing of Environmental Policy, Adoption of New Technology and Repercussions on R&D," Economics Working Papers 2003,07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Lange & Ulf Moslener, 2004. "A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush? When Do We Prefer Something Certainly Dirty to Something Perhaps Clean?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 35-51, 07.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Roumasset, James & Tse, Kinping, 1997. "Endogenous Substitution among Energy Resources and Global Warming," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1201-34, December.
- Winkler, Ralph, 2005. "Structural change with joint production of consumption and environmental pollution: a neo-Austrian approach," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 111-135, March.
- Requate, Till, 2005. "Dynamic incentives by environmental policy instruments--a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2-3), pages 175-195, August.
- Requate, Till & Unold, Wolfram, 2003. "Environmental policy incentives to adopt advanced abatement technology:: Will the true ranking please stand up?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 125-146, February.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996.
"Pollution permits and environmental innovation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 127-140, October.
- Jung, Chulho & Krutilla, Kerry & Boyd, Roy, 1996. "Incentives for Advanced Pollution Abatement Technology at the Industry Level: An Evaluation of Policy Alternatives," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Milliman, Scott R. & Prince, Raymond, 1989. "Firm incentives to promote technological change in pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-265, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:awi:wpaper:0426. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabi Rauscher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.