Minimum divergence moment based binary response models : estimation and inference
This paper introduces a new class of estimators based on minimization of the Cressie-Read (CR)power divergence measure for binary choice models, where neither a parameterized distribution nor a parameterization of the mean is specified explicitly in the statistical model. By incorporating sample information in the form of conditional moment conditions and estimating choice probabilities by optimizing a member of the set of divergence measures in the CR family, a new class of nonparametric estimators evolves that requires less a priori model structure than conventional parametric estimators such as probit or logit. Asymptotic properties are derived under general regularity conditions and finite sampling properties are illustrated by Monte Carlo sampling experiments. Except for some special cases in which the general regularity conditions do not hold, the estimators have asymptotic normal distributions, similar to conventional parametric estimators of the binary choice model. The sampling experiments focus on the mean square errors in the choice probability predictions and the probability derivatives with respect to the response variable values. The simulation results suggest that estimators within the CR class are more robust than conventional methods of estimation across varying probability distributions underlying the Bernoulli process. The size and power of test statistics based on the asymptotics of the CR-based estimators exhibit behavior similar to those based on conventional parametric methods. Overall, the new class of nonparametric estimators for the binary response model is a promising and potentially more robust alternative to the arametric methods often used in empirical practice.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://areweb.berkeley.edu/library/Main/CUDARE
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: University of California, Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics Library, 248 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley CA 94720-3310|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judge, George G. & Mittelhammer, Ron C, 2003.
"A Semi-Parametric Basis for Combining Estimation Problems Under Quadratic Loss,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt8z25j0w3, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Judge G.G. & Mittelhammer R.C., 2004. "A Semiparametric Basis for Combining Estimation Problems Under Quadratic Loss," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 479-487, January.
- Judge, George G. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C, 2003. "A semi-parametric basis for combining estimation problems under quadratic loss," CUDARE Working Paper Series 948, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Klein, R.W. & Spady, R.H., 1991.
"An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models,"
70, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Klein, Roger W & Spady, Richard H, 1993. "An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 387-421, March.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- McFadden, Daniel L., 1984. "Econometric analysis of qualitative response models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 24, pages 1395-1457 Elsevier.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Judge, George G. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C, 2004.
"Estimating the link function in multinomial response models under endogeneity and quadratic loss,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
0970, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Judge, George G. & Mittelhammer, Ron C, 2004. "Estimating the Link Function in Multinomial Response Models under Endogeneity and Quadratic Loss," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4422n50w, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:are:cudare:0998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeff Cole)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jeff Cole to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.