Asset Management with TEV and VaR;Constraints: the Constrained Efficient;Frontiers
It is well known that investors usually assign part of their funds to asset managers who are given the task of beating a benchmark portfolio. On the other hand, the risk management office could impose some restrictions to the asset managers' activity in order to mantain the overall portfolio risk under control. This situation could lead managers to select non efficient portfolios in the total return and absolute risk perspective. In this paper we focus on portfolio efficiency when a tracking error volatility (TEV) constraint holds. First, we define the TEV Constrained-Efficient Frontier (ECTF), a set of TEV constrained portfolios that are mean-variance efficient. Second, we discuss the effects on such boundary when a VaR and/or a variance restriction is also added.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2008. "Active portfolio management with benchmarking: Adding a value-at-risk constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 779-820, March.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Palomba, Giulio & Riccetti, Luca, 2012.
"Portfolio frontiers with restrictions to tracking error volatility and value at risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2604-2615.
- Giulio PALOMBA & Luca RICCETTI, 2011. "Portfolio Frontiers with Restrictions to Tracking Error Volatility and Value at Risk," Working Papers 358, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Gordon Alexander, 2009. "From Markowitz to modern risk management," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5-6), pages 451-461.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2010. "Active portfolio management with benchmarking: A frontier based on alpha," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2185-2197, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.