A Conceptual Review on Corporate Governance and its Effect on Firm's Performance: Bangladesh Perspective
Corporate governance - a concept referring to the ideal mode of ensuring firm's accountability to its stakeholders, has ascended to its current level of importance owing to corporate level scandals in the large economies of the world; experience gained from which has brought some positive changes in the less developed economies - changes that are proactive and are aimed at enhancing corporate responsibility and performance. The objective of this study has been to review this concept as is being practised, the problems being faced, the schools of thought, its implication on firm valuation and performance and lastly, to see its relevance in the context of Bangladesh, where the listed firms are mostly owned and managed by family members. Suggestions to improve corporate governance and accountability, also in line with SEC guidelines, is to have an active board with well proportioned executive vs non-executive members, along with representatives from all groups of shareholders/stakeholders; separation of the role of CEO and the chairperson; creation of board committees; changing audit firms periodically etc, to name a few.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://orp.aiub.edu/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2003.
"Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: a survey of the economic literature,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 7-26.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Boards of Directors as an Endogenously Determined Institution: A Survey of the Economic Literature," NBER Working Papers 8161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarke, Donald C., 2003. "Corporate governance in China: An overview," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 494-507.
- Lihui Tian, 2001. "Government Shareholding and the Value of China's Modern Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 395, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance And Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-155, February.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1990.
"Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 225-64, April.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Denis, Diane K. & McConnell, John J., 2003. "International Corporate Governance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 1-36, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aiu:abewps:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ziarat H. Khan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.