An Economic Analysis of Quarantine: The Economies of Australia's Ban on New Zealand Apple Imports
The quarantine policy decision-making process in Australia is subject to the principles of the World Trade Organisation's SPS Agreement. It is primarily based on the risks and associated economic costs accruing to producers in the event of disease entry. The costs of a quarantine measure in terms of forgone trade benefits are not considered. The impact associated with this asymmetric approach is identified by demonstrating the gains to consumers which may arise through liberalised markets using a case study of the Australian apple industry. A partial equilibrium analysis is used to show the impacts of apple market liberalisation, which can be expected to yield gains to consumers which are greater than the economic costs to on producers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nzares.org.nz/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001.
"Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
01-wp291, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001. "Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 01-wp291, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Roberts, Donna & Josling, Timothy E. & Orden, David, 1999. "A Framework for Analyzing Technical Trade Barriers in Agricultural Markets," Technical Bulletins 33560, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Allison, Lisa & Ricks, Donald J., 1986. "Juice Apple Markets and Price Analysis," Agricultural Economic Report Series 201359, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- James, Sallie & Anderson, Kym, 1998.
"On the need for more economic assessment of quarantine/SPS policies,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Anderson, Kym & James, Sarah, 1998. "On the Need for More Economic Assessment of Quarantine/SPS Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 1934, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nzar06:31959. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.