A Cross-Country Database for Sector Investment and Capital
This article presents a new database of investment and capital in agriculture, manufacturing, and the overall economy. It covers 62 industrial and developing countries for the years 1967-92. A common method is used in the calculations to facilitate comparisons across countries and sectors. The sensitivity of the calculations to choices of parameters and estimation methods is tested. Collectively, the data show that as economies grow, capital stocks accumulate, but the composition of capital changes. Together and individually, capital stocks in agriculture and manufacturing constitute a smaller share of the total capital stock than they did 20 years ago. Capital-labor ratios show that agriculture has become more capital intensive in most countries. The composition of agricultural capital has changed as well; capital from investments in orchards and livestock has declined relative to capital from fixed investments in machinery, irrigation, and buildings. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 12, Rehovot 76100|
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/econocene.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F. & Crego, Al, 1997. "Agricultural development : issues, evidence, and consequences," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1811, The World Bank.
- V.E. Ball & J.C. Bureau & J.P. Butault & H.P. Witzke, 1993. "The stock of capital in European Community agriculture," Post-Print hal-01072680, HAL.
- Martin, Will & Mitra, Devashish, 1999. "Productivity growth and convergence in agriculture and manufacturing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2171, The World Bank.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1999:i:55-56:p:19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Akiyama, T. & Trivedi, P. K., 1987. "Vintage production approach to perennial crop supply : An application to tea in major producing countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 133-161.
- Ball, V Eldon, et al, 1993. "The Stock of Capital in European Community Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 437-450.
- Yair Mundlak & Donald F. Larson & Rita Butzer, 1999. "Rethinking Within and Between Regressions: The Case of Agricultural Production Functions," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 55-56, pages 475-501.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1999:i:55-56 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:hecaer:232817. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.