Measuring Scale Economies in a Heterogeneous Industry: The Case of European Settlement Institutions
We examine whether the European settlement institutions are technically efficient. This is done by means of estimating a translog cost function, and investigating whether scale economies are fully exploited. Since the sample is quite heterogeneous, fixed effects regression is introduced. From the results obtained, there clearly are economies of scale in this industry throughout all output ranges. This implies that further consolidation in this industry probably is ahead.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum in its series Chapters in SUERF Studies with number
41-1.||Handle:|| RePEc:erf:erfssc:41-1||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7216
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7298
Web page: http://www.suerf.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Van Cayseele Patrick & Reynaerts Jo, 2011.
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Patrick VAN CAYSEELE & Jo REYNAERTS, 2007. "Complementary platforms," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0721, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Jo Reynaerts & Patrick Van Cayseele, 2007. "Complementary Platforms," LICOS Discussion Papers 18607, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Patrick Van Cayseele, 2004. "Competition and the Organisation of the Clearing and Settlement Industry," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0413, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erf:erfssc:41-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dragana Popovic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.