Inflation Targeting and its Effects on Macroeconomic Performance
An increasing number of countries have adopted inflation targeting since New Zealand first adopted this framework in early 1990. Currently there are 21 countries using inflation targeting in every continent of the world. This paper discusses the characteristics of these countries and how the adoption of inflation targeting has affected their economic performance along several dimensions. The main conclusion is that inflation targeting has largely been a success. The new framework has made central banks, which previously lacked credibility, able to change the way they do monetary policy towards what is commonly considered best practice. In many respects they have even been leading in creating a new benchmark for how to formulate monetary policy.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum in its series Chapters in SUERF Studies with number
38-1.||Handle:|| RePEc:erf:erfssc:38-1||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7216
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7298
Web page: http://www.suerf.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Brogi & Paolo Santella, 2004.
"Two New Measures of Bankruptcy Efficiency,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2004/6 edited by Morten Balling, November.
- Mishkin, Frederic S. & Savastano, Miguel A., 2001.
"Monetary policy strategies for Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2685, The World Bank.
- Andrew Powell & Martin Gonzalez Rozada & Verónica Cohen Sabbán, 2003.
"A new test for the success of inflation targeting,"
Business School Working Papers
trece, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Marc Zelmer & Andrea Schaechter, 2000. "Adopting Inflation Targeting; Practical Issues for Emerging Market Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 202, International Monetary Fund.
- Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto, 2001. "Ten Years of Inflation Targeting: Design, Performance, Challenges," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 131, Central Bank of Chile.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Tapia, Matias, 2002. "Inflation targeting in Chile," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 125-146, August.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in the World Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 346, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erf:erfssc:38-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Bailey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.