Implementing monetary policy in the crisis times - the case of the ECB
This paper discusses the implementation of monetary policy during the economic and financial crisis of 2007-10. After summarising the different measures adopted by the ECB during these turbulent times, we present a stylised theoretical model that allows us to focus on the main trade-offs faced in implementing monetary policy. We argue that it is the level of key policy interest rates and the width of the interest rate corridor set by the standing facilities, and not the quantity of liquidity that is provided to the market, that are key to sustaining (some) private intermediation in the money market in the presence of increasing credit and liquidity risk. The model highlights the trade-offs faced by central banks when deciding on the degree and timing of its interventions. The main implications of the theory are supported by the empirical evidence.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by European Central Bank in its series Chapters with number
cbc6-23.||Handle:|| RePEc:ecb:chaptr:cbc6-23||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd Keister & James J. McAndrews, 2009.
"Why are banks holding so many excess reserves?,"
Current Issues in Economics and Finance,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 15(Dec).
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Tapking, Jens, 2009. "Liquidity risk premia in unsecured interbank money markets," Working Paper Series 1025, European Central Bank.
- Renaud Beaupain & Alain Durré, 2011. "Inferring trading dynamics for an OTC market: the case of the euro area overnight money market," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(9), pages 1285-1295, October.
- Peter Stella & Seiichi Shimizu & Simon Gray & Ulrich H. Klueh & Alexandre Chailloux, 2008. "Central Bank Response to the 2007-08 Financial Market Turbulence; Experiences and Lessons Drawn," IMF Working Papers 08/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy,"
463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Nobili & Maria Cristina Picillo, 2009.
"The interbank market after August 2007: what has changed, and why?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
731, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Nobili & Cristina Picillo, 2011. "The Interbank Market after August 2007: What Has Changed, and Why?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(5), pages 923-958, 08.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Jose A. Lopez & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2014.
"Do Central Bank Liquidity Facilities Affect Interbank Lending Rates?,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 136-151, January.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Jose A. Lopez & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2009. "Do central bank liquidity facilities affect interbank lending rates?," Working Paper Series 2009-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010.
"Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," Working Paper Series 1126, European Central Bank.
- Florian Heider & Marie Hoerova, 2009.
"Interbank Lending, Credit-Risk Premia, and Collateral,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(4), pages 5-43, December.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie, 2009. "Interbank lending, credit risk premia and collateral," Working Paper Series 1107, European Central Bank.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2010.
"Non-standard Monetary Policy Measures and Monetary Developments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2011. "Non-standard monetary policy measures and monetary developments," Working Paper Series 1290, European Central Bank.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Huw Pill & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2010. "Non‐Standard Monetary Policy Measures," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Vincent Brousseau & Alexandre Chailloux & Alain Durré, 2009. "Interbank Offered Rate: Effects of the financial crisis on the information content of the fixing," Working Papers 2009-ECO-10, IESEG School of Management.
- Mercier, Paul & Papadia, Francesco (ed.), 2011. "The Concrete Euro: Implementing Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199557523, March.
- Beirne, John & Dalitz, Lars & Ejsing, Jacob & Grothe, Magdalena & Manganelli, Simone & Monar, Fernando & Sahel, Benjamin & Sušec, Matjaž & Tapking, Jens & Vong, Tana, 2011. "The impact of the Eurosystem's covered bond purchase programme on the primary and secondary markets," Occasional Paper Series 122, European Central Bank.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Andritzky, Jochen & Jobst, Andreas & Nowak, Sylwia & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2012.
"Market response to policy initiatives during the global financial crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 162-177.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Jochen Andritzky & Andreas Jobst & Sylwia Nowak & Natalia Tamirisa, 2010. "Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00393019 is not listed on IDEAS
- James McAndrews & Asani Sarkar & Zhenyu Wang, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:chaptr:cbc6-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.