Shipbuilding/Repair and Boatbuilding Industry
This paper focuses on the impact of the trade reforms on performance, as measured by efficiency improvements and competitiveness of the shipbuilding and boatbuilding industry. While the latter is a sub sector of the former, it is treated separately because of its export potentials. The study also verifies the hypothesis that exposure to foreign competition leads to improvements in industrial efficiency through improved access to imported intermediate goods as well as in the level of intra-industry competition. Policy implications include a continued liberalization of the sectors with a focus on the input side. High interest rates, foreign exchange controls and age distortions should also be addressed.
|This book is provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Research Paper Series with number RPS 1994-07 and published in .|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1990.
"Comparative Advantage and Long-run Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 796-815, September.
- Havrylyshyn, Oli, 1990. "Trade Policy and Productivity Gains in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Literature," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1986. "Productivity Change and Dynamic Comparative Advantage," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 241-47, May.
- Page, John Jr., 1984. "Firm size and technical efficiency : Applications of production frontiers to Indian survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 129-152.
- Bruno, Michael, 1972. "Domestic Resource Costs and Effective Protection: Clarification and Synthesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 16-33, Jan.-Feb..
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Pante, Filologo Jr., 1990. "The Philippine Industrial Sector: Policies, Programs and Performance," Working Papers WP 1990-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- de Melo, Jaime & Urata, Shujiro, 1986. "The influence of increased foreign competition on industrial concentration and profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Caves, Richard E & Porter, Michael E, 1980. "The Dynamics of Changing Seller Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 1-15, September.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1972. "Evaluating Restrictionist Trade Regimes: Theory and Measurement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 48-62, Jan.-Feb..
- Tecson, Gwendolyn R., 1992. "Performance, Competitiveness and Structure of Philippine Manufacturing Industries: A Research Design," Working Papers WP 1992-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:rpseri:rps_1994-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.