Unemployment And Speed Of Adjustment In Asean-3 Economies: A Cointegration Analysis
This paper investigates the existence of long-run relationship between unemployment and several key macroeconomic variables in Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines. The Johansen–Juselius cointegration method confirms the existence of a stationary long-run cointegration relationship between unemployment and its determinants in all three countries. Exports and foreign direct investment are important determinants of unemployment in Malaysia. In the Philippines, government spending and exports are inversely related to unemployment. In Singapore, only exports appeared as a significant factor in determining unemployment. The results show that the speed of adjustment following a shock is more rapid in Singapore compared to the other two ASEAN countries.
Volume (Year): 56 (2011)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2009.
"Did the Hartz Reforms Speed-Up the Matching Process? A Macro-Evaluation Using Empirical Matching Functions,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20482, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- René Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2009. "Did the Hartz Reforms Speed-Up the Matching Process? A Macro-Evaluation Using Empirical Matching Functions," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 284-316, 08.
- Gerald Scully, 1989. "The size of the state, economic growth and the efficient utilization of national resources," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 149-164, November.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Masaki Katsuura & Helen Higgs, 2003. "Price Linkages in Asian Equity Markets: Evidence Bordering the Asian Economic, Currency and Financial Crises," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 10(1), pages 29-44.
- Tom Valentine, 1993. "The Sources of Unemployment: A Simple Econometric Analysis," Working Paper Series 32, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bradford J Jensen & Andrew B Bernard, 1994.
"Exporters, Skill Upgrading And The Wage Gap,"
94-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lamo, Ana & Messina, Julián & Wasmer, Etienne, 2006.
"Are Specific Skills an Obstacle to Labour Market Adjustment? Theory and an Application to the EU Enlargement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lamo, Ana & Messina, Julián & Wasmer, Etienne, 2006. "Are specific skills an obstacle to labor market adjustment? Theory and an application to the EU enlargement," Working Paper Series 0585, European Central Bank.
- Ana Lamo & Julian Messina & Etienne Wasmer, 2006. "Are Specific Skills an Obstacle to Labor Market Adjustment? Theory and an Application to the EU Enlargement," Sciences Po publications 585, Sciences Po.
- Ana Lamo & Julian Messina & Etienne Wasmer, 2007. "Are Specific Skills an Obstacle to Labor Market Adjustment? Theory and an Application to the EU Enlargement," CSEF Working Papers 172, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Masso, Jaan & Heshmati, Almas, 2003.
"The Optimality and Overuse of Labour in Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises,"
IZA Discussion Papers
884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2004. "The optimality and overuse of labour in Estonian manufacturing enterprises," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 683-720, December.
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "The Optimality And Overuse Of Labour In Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 20, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tajul Ariffin Masron & Zulkornain Yusop, 2009. "Reserve Pooling And Its Implication On Optimum Currency Area In Asean," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 54(02), pages 299-312.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Valentine, 1993. "The Sources Of Unemployment: A Simple Econometric Analysis," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 12(4), pages 1-20, December.
- Huay, Ooi Soon & Groenewold, Nicolaas, 1992. "The Causes of Unemployment in Australia, 1966-1987," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(58), pages 77-93, June.
- Driffield, Nigel & Taylor, Karl, 2000. "FDI and the Labour Market: A Review of the Evidence and Policy Implications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 90-103, Autumn.
- Ahmad Seyf, 2000. "Can more FDI solve the problem of unemployment in the EU? A short note," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 125-128.
- Trivedi, P K & Baker, G M, 1985. "Equilibrium Unemployment in Australia: Concepts and Measurement," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 61(174), pages 629-43, September.
- Katarina Juselius, 1996.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Changing Role of the German Bundesbank after 1983,"
96-18, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of the Changing Role of the German Bundesbank after 1983," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(4), pages 791-819, November.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1996.
"Export-led Industrialisation, Employment and Equity: Then Malaysian Case,"
Trade and Development
96/5, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1996. "Export-led Industrialisation, Employment and Equity: The Malaysian Case," Departmental Working Papers 1996-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Guy Debelle & James Vickery, 1998. "The Macroeconomics of Australian Unemployment," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Richard Jackman & Christopher A. Pissarides & S Savouri, 1990. "Labour Market Policies and Unemployment in the OECD," CEP Discussion Papers dp0011, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Leon, Gianmarco, 2007.
"Institutional enforcement, labor-market rigidities, and economic performance,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 38-49, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Gianmarco León, 2006. "Institutional Enforcement, Labor-Market Rigidities, and Economic Performance," Research Department Publications 4492, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Gianmarco León & Alberto E. Chong, 2006. "Institutional Enforcement, Labor-Market Rigidities, and Economic Performance," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6836, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Anthony De Francesco, 1999. "The relationship between unemployment and vacancies in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 641-652.
- Bodman, Philip M, 1999. "Labour Market Inefficiency and Frictional Unemployment in Australia and Its States: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 138-48, June.
- Abrams, Burton A, 1999. "The Effect of Government Size on the Unemployment Rate," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 99(3-4), pages 395-401, June.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & Efthymios Tsionas, 2002. "Unemployment and government size: Is there any credible causality?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(12), pages 797-800.
- Natsuki Fujita & William James, 1997. "Employment Creation and Manufactured Exports in Indonesia, 1980-90," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 103-115.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Montalvo, Jose G., 2006. "Regional evolutions in labor markets in the Philippines: A dynamic approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 448-477, June.
- Pitchford, J D, 1983. "Unemployment, Real Wages and the Money Supply in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(165), pages 118-31, June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Stegman, A. & Stegman, T., 1999. "Labour Market Flexibility, the Beveridge Curve, and the Output-Employment Ratio in Australia," Papers 99/16, New South Wales - School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:serxxx:v:56:y:2011:i:03:p:327-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.