Interacting Business Cycle Fluctuations: A Two-Country Model
In this paper, we develop a model of business cycle fluctuations between two interacting open economies within the disequilibrium or non-market clearing paradigm. We analyze the main feedback mechanisms (Keynes, Mundell, Rose and Dornbusch) driving the dynamics and the conflict between their stabilizing and destabilizing tendencies and how these depend on certain key speeds of adjustment in the real and foreign exchange sectors. We explore numerically a variety of situations of interacting price cycles in the two countries, where the steady state is locally repelling, but where the overall dynamics are bounded in an economically meaningful domain by assuming downward money wage rigidity.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 51 (2006)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2011.
"The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521180184.
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2000. "The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521643511.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter & Wells, Graeme, 2003. "The Dynamics Of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 473-475, June.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Allan W. Gregory & Allen C. Head & Jacques Raynauld, 1994.
"Measuring World Business Cycles,"
902, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Brenner & Wolfgang Weidlich & Ulrich Witt, 2002. "International Co-movements of Business Cycles in a ‘Phase-locking’ Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 113-138, 05.
- Canova, Fabio & Marrinan, Jane, 1998. "Sources and propagation of international output cycles: Common shocks or transmission?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 133-166, October.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Dating Specific and Business Cycles," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Business Cycles, pages 56-114 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Flaschel & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2003.
"Wage and Price Phillips Curves An empirical analysis of destabilizing wage-price spirals,"
2003-W16, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & Peter Flaschel, 2003. "Wage and Price Phillips Curves An empirical analysis of destabilizing wage-price spirals," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-W16, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gerlach, H M Stefan, 1988. "World Business Cycles under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 621-32, November.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter, 1996. "Real and monetary cycles in models of Keynes-Wicksell type," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 327-351, September.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Jo�o Valle E Azevedo, 2008. "Measuring Synchronization and Convergence of Business Cycles for the Euro area, UK and US," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(1), pages 23-51, 02.
- Flaschel, Peter & Gong, Gang & Semmler, Willi, 2001. "A Keynesian macroeconometric framework for the analysis of monetary policy rules," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 101-136, September.
- Kind, Christoph, 1999. "Remarks on the economic interpretation of Hopf bifurcations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 147-154, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:serxxx:v:51:y:2006:i:03:p:365-394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.