Expectations and Equilibrium in High-Grade Australian Bond Markets
This paper examines the equilibrium implications of the Expectations Hypothesis of term structure to different maturities of high-grade Australian dollar denominated Eurobonds and Australian Government bonds (AGBs) using the Canonical Cointegrating Regression (CCR) technique developed by Econometrica 60 (1992) 119. Our findings provide evidence only for equilibrium relationships between each group of bonds based on credit class, but not between any of the subsets of AGBs and the Eurobonds. Furthermore, the error correction model supports theory with the most liquid, long-term 10-year AGB driving the AGB term structure, with short-term yields adjusting to movements in the long-run yields, though the opposite is true for Eurobonds. The lesson for markets is to simplify the risk management task.Managers are advised to treat portfolios of equivalent credit class separately for hedging and risk management.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 08 (2005)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/rpbfmp/rpbfmp.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Joon Y, 1992. "Canonical Cointegrating Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 119-143, January.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- In, Francis & Batten, Jonathan & Kim, Sangbae, 2003. "What drives the term and risk structure of Japanese bonds?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 518-541.
- Benjamin H Cohen, 1999. "Monetary Policy Procedures and Volatility Transmission along the Yield Curve," CGFS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market Liquidity: Research Findings and Selected Policy Implications, volume 11, pages 1-22 Bank for International Settlements.
- Robert A. Jarrow & David Lando & Stuart M. Turnbull, 2008.
"A Markov Model for the Term Structure of Credit Risk Spreads,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 18, pages 411-453
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Jarrow, Robert A & Lando, David & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1997. "A Markov Model for the Term Structure of Credit Risk Spreads," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 481-523.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hendry, David F. & Neale, Adrian J. & Srba, Frank, 1988. "Econometric analysis of small linear systems using PC-FIML," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 203-226.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2003. "Structural changes in the cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 261-295, June.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2000. "Structural Changes in the Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model," Working Papers 2000-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Hall, Anthony D & Anderson, Heather M & Granger, Clive W J, 1992. "A Cointegration Analysis of Treasury Bill Yields," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 116-126, February.
- Camarero, Mariam & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2002. "Instability tests in cointegration relationships. An application to the term structure of interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 783-799, November.
- Jonathan Batten & Warren Hogan, 1999. "Credit Derivatives: An Appraisal For Australian Financial Institutions," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 18(2), pages 19-41, 06.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:rpbfmp:v:08:y:2005:i:04:p:573-592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.