Taming The Incomputable, Reconstructing The Nonconstructive And Deciding The Undecidable In Mathematical Economics
The emergence of non-constructivities in economics is entirely due to the unnecessary and inappropriate formalization of economics by means of 'classical' mathematics. I have made similar claims for the emergence of uncomputabilities and undecidabilities in economics in earlier writings. Here, on the other hand, I want to suggest a way of confronting uncomputabilities, and remedying non-constructivities, in economics, and turning them into a positive force for modeling, for example, endogenous growth, as suggested by Stefano Zambelli. 107,108 In between, a case is made for economics to take seriously the kind of mathematical methodology fostered by Feynman and Dirac, in particular the way they developed the path integral and the δ-function, respectively. A sketch of a "research program" in mathematical economics, analogous to the way Gödel thought incompleteness and its perplexities should be interpreted and resolved, is also outlined, albeit briefly, in the concluding section.
Volume (Year): 08 (2012)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/nmnc/nmnc.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521800563 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1977.
"The Computation of Equilibrium Prices: An Exposition,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
473, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Scarf, Herbert E., 1993. "The computation of equilibrium prices: An exposition," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 21, pages 1007-1061 Elsevier.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2004. "Recursive Macroeconomic Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026212274x, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arrow, Kenneth J, 1986. "Rationality of Self and Others in an Economic System," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S385-99, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:nmncxx:v:08:y:2012:i:01:p:5-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.