Beyond Keynesianism: Global Infrastructure Investments In Times Of Crisis
Concerns have been raised that the "new normal" — a period of high unemployment, low returns on investment, high risks, and low growth — may become protracted in advanced economies. The world, therefore, needs a growth-lifting strategy. This strategy could take the form of a global infrastructure investment initiative that goes beyond the borders of advanced countries. Economic returns to infrastructure investments are high in developing countries, which have become important drivers of global growth. At the same time, infrastructure investments require capital goods, most of which are produced in high-income countries. Scaling up infrastructure investment in developing countries could, therefore, help generate a virtuous cycle in support of a global recovery.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 03 (2012)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/jicep/jicep.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zac Mills & Annette J Kyobe & Jim Brumby & Chris Papageorgiou & Era Dabla-Norris, 2011. "Investing in Public Investment; An Index of Public Investment Efficiency," IMF Working Papers 11/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foster, Vivien & Steinbuks, Jevgenijs, 2009. "Paying the price for unreliable power supplies : in-house generation of electricity by firms in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4913, The World Bank.
- Kiichi Tokuoka & Murtaza H Syed & Kenneth H Kang, 2009. "â€œLost Decadeâ€ in Translation - What Japanâ€™s Crisis could Portend about Recovery from the Great Recession," IMF Working Papers 09/282, International Monetary Fund.
- Taryn Dinkelman, 2011. "The Effects of Rural Electrification on Employment: New Evidence from South Africa," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 3078-3108, December.
- Fay, Marianne & Yepes, Tito, 2003. "Investing in infrastructure : what is needed from 2000 to 2010?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3102, The World Bank.
- Roberts, Mark & Deichmann, Uwe & Fingleton, Bernard & Shi, Tuo, 2010. "On the road to prosperity ? The economic geography of China's national expressway network," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5479, The World Bank.
- Price V. Fishback & Valentina Kachanovskaya, 2010. "In Search of the Multiplier for Federal Spending in the States During the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 16561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alby, Philippe & Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2011.
"Let there be Light! Firms Operating under Electricity Constraints in Developing Countries,"
IDEI Working Papers
686, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Alby, Philippe & Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2011. "Let there be Light! Firms Operating under Electricity Constraints in Developing Countries," TSE Working Papers 11-255, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Kevin HjortshÃƒÂ¸j O'Rourke & Richard S. Grossman & Madalina A. Ursu, 2013. "A monthly stock exchange index for Ireland, 1864-1930," Economics Series Working Papers 120, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2002.
"Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel? The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 02-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas, 2006. "Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1133-1153, August.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2004. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel?: The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 458, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey, 2013.
"International aid and financial crises in donor countries,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 232-250.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Steve & Rogers, Halsey, 2009. "International aid and financial crises in donor countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5162, The World Bank.
- John G. Fernald, 1999.
"Roads to Prosperity? Assessing the Link between Public Capital and Productivity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 619-638, June.
- John G. Fernald, 1997. "Roads to prosperity? assessing the link between public capital and productivity," International Finance Discussion Papers 592, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Andrew B. Stoeckel & YingYing Lu, 2014.
"Global Fiscal Adjustment and Trade Rebalancing,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(7), pages 892-922, 07.
- Warwick McKibbin & Andrew B Stoeckel & YingYing Lu, 2012. "Global Fiscal Adjustment and Trade Rebalancing," CAMA Working Papers 2012-12, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- McKibbin, Warwick J & Stoeckel, Andrew B & Lu, YingYing, 2012. "Global fiscal adjustment and trade rebalancing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6044, The World Bank.
- Klein, Michael, 1997. "Managing guarantee programs in support of infrastructure investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1812, The World Bank.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Enrique G. Mendoza & Carlos A. Végh, 2010.
"How Big (Small?) are Fiscal Multipliers?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1016, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, February.
- Calderon, Cesar & Moral-Benito, Enrique & Serven, Luis, 2011.
"Is infrastructure capital productive ? a dynamic heterogeneous approach,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5682, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Enrique Moral‐Benito & Luis Servén, 2015. "Is infrastructure capital productive? A dynamic heterogeneous approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(2), pages 177-198, 03.
- César Calderón & Enrique Moral-Benito & Luis Servén, 2011. "Is infrastructure capital productive? A dynamic heterogeneous approach," Working Papers 1103, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Lin Justin Yifu, 1997. "Introduction," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(5), pages 10-15, September.
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 1999. "How inadequate provision of public infrastructure and services affects private investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2262, The World Bank.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2007. "Credit-spread determinants and interlocking contracts: A study of the Ras Gas project," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 248-278, October.
- Estache, Antonio & Fay, Marianne, 2007. "Current debates on infrastructure policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4410, The World Bank.
- Sahoo, Pravakar & Dash, Ranjan Kumar & Nataraj, Geethanjali, 2010. "Infrastructure development and economic growth in China," IDE Discussion Papers 261, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Canuto, Otaviano & Liu, Lili, 2010.
"Subnational Debt Finance and the Global Financial Crisis,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 13, pages 1-7, May.
- Otaviano Canuto & Lili Liu, 2010. "Subnational Debt Finance and the Global Financial Crisis," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10186, The World Bank.
- Straub, Stephane & Vellutini, Charles & Warlters, Michael, 2008. "Infrastructure and economic growth in East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4589, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:jicepx:v:03:y:2012:i:03:p:1250015-1-1250015-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.