Consistent Factor Models For Temperature Markets
We propose an approach for pricing and hedging weather derivatives based on including forward looking information about the temperature available to the market. This is achieved by modeling temperature forecasts by a finite dimensional factor model. Temperature dynamics are then inferred in the short end. In analogy to interest rate theory, we establish conditions which guarantee consistency of a factor model with the martingale dynamics of temperature forecasts. Finally, we consider a specific two-factor model and examine in more detail pricing and hedging of weather derivatives in this context.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Alaton & Boualem Djehiche & David Stillberger, 2002. "On modelling and pricing weather derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 1-20.
- Sean D. Campbell & Francis X. Diebold, 2002.
"Weather Forecasting for Weather Derivatives,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-42, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Sean D. Campbell & Francis X. Diebold, 2003. "Weather Forecasting for Weather Derivatives," NBER Working Papers 10141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, Sean D. & Diebold, Francis X., 2004. "Weather forecasting for weather derivatives," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Eckhard Platen & Jason West, 2004.
"A Fair Pricing Approach to Weather Derivatives,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 23-53, March.
- M. Davis, 2001. "Pricing weather derivatives by marginal value," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 305-308.
- Dorje Brody & Joanna Syroka & Mihail Zervos, 2002. "Dynamical pricing of weather derivatives," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 189-198.
- Geman, Hélyette & Leonardi, Marie-Pascale, 2005. "Alternative Approaches to Weather Derivatives Pricing," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1386, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:ijtafx:v:15:y:2012:i:04:p:1250027-1-1250027-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.