The Var At Risk
I show that the structure of the firm is not neutral with respect to regulatory capital budgeted under rules which are based on the Value-at-Risk. Indeed, when a holding company has the liberty to divide its risk into as many subsidiaries as needed, and when the subsidiaries are subject to capital requirements according to the Value-at-Risk budgeting rule, then there is an optimal way to divide risk which is such that the total amount of capital to be budgeted by the shareholder is zero. This result may lead to regulatory arbitrage by some firms.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elyès Jouini & Walter Schachermayer & Nizar Touzi, 2006. "Law Invariant Risk Measures Have the Fatou Property," Post-Print halshs-00176522, HAL.
- Rustam Ibragimov, 2005. "Portfolio Diversification and Value at Risk Under Thick-Tailedness," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2086, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Henry, Marc & Galichon, Alfred & Ekeland, Ivar, 2012.
"Comonotonic Measures of Multivariate Risks,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/2278, Paris Dauphine University.
- Rüschendorf Ludger, 2006. "Law invariant convex risk measures for portfolio vectors," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 24(1/2006), pages 12, July.
- Pauline Barrieu & Nicole El Karoui, 2005. "Inf-convolution of risk measures and optimal risk transfer," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 269-298, 04.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Burgert, Christian & Ruschendorf, Ludger, 2006. "Consistent risk measures for portfolio vectors," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 289-297, April.
- Christian Gourieroux & Wei Liu, 2006. "Efficient Portfolio Analysis Using Distortion Risk Measures," Working Papers 2006-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:ijtafx:v:13:y:2010:i:04:p:503-506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.