Measuring The Market Risk Of Freight Rates: A Value-At-Risk Approach
The fluctuation of shipping freight rates (freight rate risk) is an important source of market risk for all participants in the freight markets including hedge funds, commodity and energy producers. We measure the freight rate risk by the Value-at-Risk (VaR) approach. A range of parametric and non-parametric VaR methods is applied to various popular freight markets for dry and wet cargoes. Backtesting is conducted in two stages by means of statistical tests and a subjective loss function that uses the Expected Shortfall, respectively. We find that the simplest non-parametric methods should be used to measure freight rate risk. In addition, freight rate risk is greater in the wet cargoes markets. The margins in the growing freight derivatives markets should be set accordingly.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 05 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Kupiec, 1998.
"Margin Requirements, Volatility, and Market Integrity: What Have We Learned Since the Crash?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 13(3), pages 231-255, June.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1997. "Margin requirements, volatility, and market integrity: what have we learned since the crash?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1997. "Margin Requirements, Volatility, and Market Integrity: What Have We Learned Since The Crash?," FMG Special Papers sp97, Financial Markets Group.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Mayhew, Stewart & Sarin, Atulya & Shastri, Kuldeep, 1995. " The Allocation of Informed Trading across Related Markets: An Analysis of the Impact of Changes in Equity-Option Margin Requirements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1635-53, December.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A. D. & Persand, G., 2000. "A word of caution on calculating market-based minimum capital risk requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1557-1574, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Raymond P. H. Fishe & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Thomas F. Gosnell & Sujata Sinha, 1990. "Margin requirements in futures markets: Their relationship to price volatility," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 541-554, October.
- Gita Persand & Chris Brooks, 2003. "Volatility forecasting for risk management," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 1-22.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"Market risk in commodity markets: a VaR approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1682, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Nikos K. Nomikos, 1999. "The forward pricing function of the shipping freight futures market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 353-376, 05.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Dongcheol Kim, 1996. "Price volatility and futures margins," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 81-111, 02.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A.D. & Dalle Molle, J.W. & Persand, G., 2005. "A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 339-352, March.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Holt, Matthew T., 2002. "Hedging Foreign Currency, Freight And Commodity Futures Portfolios: A Note," Working Papers 28573, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Tim Krehbiel & Lee C. Adkins, 2005. "Price risk in the NYMEX energy complex: An extreme value approach," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 309-337, 04.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Ilias D. Visvikis, 2006. "Shipping freight derivatives: a survey of recent evidence," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 233-255, July.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- Manolis Kavussanos & Nikos Nomikos, 2003. "Price Discovery, Causality and Forecasting in the Freight Futures Market," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 203-230, October.
- Lehar, Alfred & Scheicher, Martin & Schittenkopf, Christian, 2002. "GARCH vs. stochastic volatility: Option pricing and risk management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 323-345, March.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Frey, Rudiger, 2000. "Estimation of tail-related risk measures for heteroscedastic financial time series: an extreme value approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 271-300, November.
- Kavussanos, Manolis G. & Visvikis, Ilias D., 2004. "Market interactions in returns and volatilities between spot and forward shipping freight markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 2015-2049, August.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- David Cabedo, J. & Moya, Ismael, 2003. "Estimating oil price 'Value at Risk' using the historical simulation approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 239-253, May.
- Michael S. Haigh & Matthew T. Holt, 2002. "Hedging foreign currency, freight, and commodity futures portfolios—A note," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(12), pages 1205-1221, December.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Hsieh, David A & Miller, Merton H, 1990. " Margin Regulation and Stock Market Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Yamai, Yasuhiro & Yoshiba, Toshinao, 2005. "Value-at-risk versus expected shortfall: A practical perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 997-1015, April.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2006. "Modeling and forecasting petroleum futures volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 467-488, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:ijtafx:v:11:y:2008:i:05:p:447-469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.