A Unilateral Pricing Policy And The Stackelberg Equilibrium
Cooper (1986) examines the equilibrium of the retroactive most-favored-customer pricing policy by using a two-period duopoly model. He shows that the most-favored-customer policy enables both firms to offer higher prices and to enjoy higher profits. Neilson and Winter (1992) show that even if one firm in a price-setting duopoly adopts the most-favored-customer policy, the equilibrium does not coincide with the Stackelberg solution. This paper introduces a pricing policy by using a one-period two-stage model and shows that if one firm in a price-setting duopoly adopts this policy, then the equilibrium coincides with the Stackelberg solution.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/igtr/igtr.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Neilson, William S. & Winter, Harold, 1992. "Unilateral most-favored-customer pricing : A comparison with Stackelberg," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-232, February.
- Kazuhiro Ohnishi, 2003. "A Model of a Price-setting Duopoly with a Wage-rise Contract," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 149-157, 06.
- Aguirre, Inaki, 2000. "The Most-Favoured-Customer Pricing Policy and Competitive Advantage," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 215-23, July.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:igtrxx:v:12:y:2010:i:03:p:205-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.