A Unilateral Pricing Policy And The Stackelberg Equilibrium
Cooper (1986) examines the equilibrium of the retroactive most-favored-customer pricing policy by using a two-period duopoly model. He shows that the most-favored-customer policy enables both firms to offer higher prices and to enjoy higher profits. Neilson and Winter (1992) show that even if one firm in a price-setting duopoly adopts the most-favored-customer policy, the equilibrium does not coincide with the Stackelberg solution. This paper introduces a pricing policy by using a one-period two-stage model and shows that if one firm in a price-setting duopoly adopts this policy, then the equilibrium coincides with the Stackelberg solution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/igtr/igtr.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, September.
- Neilson, William S. & Winter, Harold, 1992. "Unilateral most-favored-customer pricing : A comparison with Stackelberg," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-232, February.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Aguirre, Inaki, 2000. "The Most-Favoured-Customer Pricing Policy and Competitive Advantage," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 215-223, July.
- Kazuhiro Ohnishi, 2003. "A Model of a Price-setting Duopoly with a Wage-rise Contract," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 149-157, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:igtrxx:v:12:y:2010:i:03:p:205-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.