Multistage Communication With And Without Verifiable Types
We survey selected results on strategic information transmission. We distinguish between "cheap talk" and "persuasion". In the latter model, the informed player's message set depends on his type. As a benchmark, we first assume that the informed player sends a single message to the decision maker. We state characterization results for the sets of equilibrium payoffs, with and without verifiable types. We then show that multistage, bilateral communication enables the players to achieve new equilibrium outcomes, even if types are verifiable. We also propose complete characterizations of the equilibrium payoffs that are achievable with a bounded number of communication rounds.
Volume (Year): 10 (2008)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/igtr/igtr.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Watson, Joel, 1996. "Information Transmission When the Informed Party Is Confused," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 143-161, January.
- Robert J. Aumann, 1995. "Repeated Games with Incomplete Information," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011476, June.
- Renault, Jérôme, 2000. "On Two-Player Repeated Games with Lack of Information on One Side and State-Independent Signalling," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6109, Paris Dauphine University.
- Blume, A., 1991.
"Equilibrium Refinement in Sender-Receiver Games,"
91-28, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Renault, Jérôme, 2001.
"3-player repeated games with lack of information on one side,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/6538, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jérôme Renault, 2001. "3-player repeated games with lack of information on one side," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 221-245.
- V. Crawford & J. Sobel, 2010.
"Strategic Information Transmission,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
544, David K. Levine.
- Daniel J. Seidmann & Eyal Winter, 1997. "Strategic Information Transmission with Verifiable Messages," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 163-170, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:igtrxx:v:10:y:2008:i:02:p:145-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.