Distribution Of Producer Size In Globalized Market
Distribution of producer size in a globalized market is a complex market phenomena, which is affected by the market behavior of consumers such as the loyalty of consumers to producers and the purchasing power of consumers, as well as the trade barriers among countries. In the present paper, in order to study the distribution of producer size in the globalized market, we construct a bipartite network that consists of consumers and producers with community structure. We find that the distribution of producer size in each community in a multi-community network can be projected to that in one-community bipartite network by mapping the globalized market behavior of consumers to an isolated market behavior. The mapped market behavior is dependent on the trade barriers among communities. The distribution of producer size in globalized market is thereby dependent on the mapped loyalty of consumers and the mapped growing rate of purchasing power. Furthermore, simulation results show that the distribution of producer size differs community by community. It follows the power-law distribution if both the mapped loyalty of consumers and growing rate are high.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 07 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/acs/acs.shtml|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guilmi, Corrado Di & Gallegati, Mauro & Ormerod, Paul, 2004. "Scaling invariant distributions of firms’ exit in OECD countries," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 334(1), pages 267-273.
- Dahui, Wang & Li, Zhou & Zengru, Di, 2006. "Bipartite producer–consumer networks and the size distribution of firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 359-366.
- Sven Banisch & Tanya Araujo & Jorge Louçã, 2009.
"Opinion Dynamics and Communication Networks,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2009/16, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Frank Schweitzer & Giorgio Fagiolo & Didier Sornette & Fernando Vega-Redondo & Douglas R. White, "undated".
"Economic Networks: What do we know and what do we need to know?,"
CCSS-09-010, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Frank Schweitzer & Giorgio Fagiolo & Didier Sornette & Fernando Vega-Redondo & Douglas R. White, 2009. "Economic Networks: What Do We Know And What Do We Need To Know?," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(04), pages 407-422.
- Gaffeo, Edoardo & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2003. "On the size distribution of firms: additional evidence from the G7 countries," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 117-123.
- Yoshi Fujiwara & Corrado Di Guilmi & Hideaki Aoyama & Mauro Gallegati & Wataru Souma, 2003.
"Do Pareto-Zipf and Gibrat laws hold true? An analysis with European Firms,"
cond-mat/0310061, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2003.
- Fujiwara, Yoshi & Di Guilmi, Corrado & Aoyama, Hideaki & Gallegati, Mauro & Souma, Wataru, 2004. "Do Pareto–Zipf and Gibrat laws hold true? An analysis with European firms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 335(1), pages 197-216.
- David F. Midgley & Robert E. Marks & Lee C. Cooper, 1997.
"Breeding Competitive Strategies,"
INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 257-275, March.
- Hazhir Rahmandad & John Sterman, 2008. "Heterogeneity and Network Structure in the Dynamics of Diffusion: Comparing Agent-Based and Differential Equation Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(5), pages 998-1014, May.
- Xie, Yan-Bo & Zhou, Tao & Wang, Bing-Hong, 2008. "Scale-free networks without growth," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(7), pages 1683-1688.
- Wilkinson, Ian & Young, Louise, 2002. "On cooperating: firms, relations and networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 123-132, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:acsxxx:v:15:y:2012:i:07:p:1250076-1-1250076-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.