From Assortative To Dissortative Networks: The Role Of Capacity Constraints
We consider a dynamic model of network formation where agents form and sever links based on the centrality of their potential partners. We show that the existence of capacity constrains in the amount of links an agent can maintain introduces a transition from dissortative to assortative networks. This effect can shed light on the distinction between technological and social networks as it gives a simple mechanism explaining how and why this transition occurs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/acs/acs.shtml |
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Álex Arenas & Antonio Cabrales & Leon Danon & Albert Díaz-Guilera & Roger Guimerà & Fernando Vega-Redondo, 2003.
"Optimal Information Transmission in Organizations: Search and Congestion,"
64, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Àlex Arenas & Antonio Cabrales & Leon Danon & Albert Díaz-Guilera & Roger Guimerà & Fernando Vega-Redondo, 2010. "Optimal information transmission in organizations: search and congestion," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Antonio Cabrales & Àlex Arenas & Albert Díaz-Guilera & Roger Guimerà & Fernando Vega-Redondo, 2004. "Optimal Information Transmission in Organizations: Search and Congestion," Working Papers 2004.77, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Àlex Arenas & Antonio Cabrales & Albert Díaz-Guilera & Roger Guimerà & Fernando Vega, 2003. "Optimal information transmission in organizations: Search and congestion," Economics Working Papers 698, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World?,"
2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fagiolo, Giorgio, 2005. "Endogenous neighborhood formation in a local coordination model with negative network externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 297-319, January.
- M. Koenig & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, .
"A Dynamic Model of Network Formation with Strategic Interactions,"
CCSS-09-006, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- König, Michael & Tessone, Claudio J. & Zenou, Yves, 2009. "A Dynamic Model of Network Formation with Strategic Interactions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7521, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aouchiche, M. & Bell, F.K. & Cvetkovic, D. & Hansen, P. & Rowlinson, P. & Simic, S.K. & Stevanovic, D., 2008. "Variable neighborhood search for extremal graphs. 16. Some conjectures related to the largest eigenvalue of a graph," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(3), pages 661-676, December.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004.
"Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player,"
178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," CEPR Discussion Papers 5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 666156000000000586, www.najecon.org.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2008.
"Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education," IZA Discussion Papers 3859, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Eleonora Patacchini & Yves Zenou, 2008. "Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0814, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Guimera, R. & Danon, L. & Diaz-Guilera, A. & Giralt, F. & Arenas, A., 2006. "The real communication network behind the formal chart: Community structure in organizations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 653-667, December.
- Fernando Vega Redondo, 2002.
"Building Up Social Capital In A Changing World,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-26, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:acsxxx:v:13:y:2010:i:04:p:483-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.