Testing for Causality between the Foreign Direct Investment, Current Account Deficit, GDP and Total Credit: Evidence from G7
In this study, countries were analyzed between 1990 and 2011 in order to determine whether a causal relationship exists among current account deficit, GDP, foreign direct investment, and total credits of G7. Analysis took into account the cross-sectional dependence and was applied to test the causality among the variables form the panel. Firstly, panel unit root tests were used for determining stationary of variables. As a result of the panel unit root tests, it was found that GDP and foreign direct investment have a stationary structure and that total credits and current account deficit contain unit root. In order to see whether there is a long-term relationship among the variables or not, the panel co-integration test was used. As a result of the test, it was concluded that there is a co-integration relationship among the series. The possibility of a causal relationship was analyzed among the variables using the causality test developed by Elena Ivona Dumitrescu and Christophe Hurlin (2012). Results of the analysis showed a unidirectional causal relationship from current account deficit and foreign direct investment to GDP. Bidirectional causality was found between current account deficit and total credits. Finally, a unidirectional relationship was found from foreign direct investment to current account deficit and total credits.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003.
"Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar S Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries; An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Law, Siong Hook & Ahmad, Abd Halim, 2010. "FDI and economic growth: New evidence on the role of financial markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 211-213, May.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Law, Siong Hook & Ahmad, Abdul Halim, 2009. "FDI and economic growth: new evidence on the role of financial markets," MPRA Paper 65852, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nuri Yildirim & Huseyin Tastan, 2012. "Capital Flows and Economic Growth across Spectral requencies: Evidence from Turkey," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(4), pages 441-462, September.
- Nuri Yildirim & Huseyin Tastan, 2009. "Capital flows and economic growth across spectral frequencies: Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 2009/2, Turkish Economic Association.
- Caroline Freund & Frank Warnock, 2007. "Current Account Deficits in Industrial Countries: The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall?," NBER Chapters,in: G7 Current Account Imbalances: Sustainability and Adjustment, pages 133-168 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caroline Freund & Frank Warnock, 2005. "Current Account Deficits in Industrial Countries: The Bigger They are, the Harder They Fall?," NBER Working Papers 11823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kar, Muhsin & Nazlıoğlu, Şaban & Ağır, Hüseyin, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth nexus in the MENA countries: Bootstrap panel granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 685-693.
- Kar, Muhsin & NazlIoglu, Saban & AgIr, Hüseyin, 2011. "Financial development and economic growth nexus in the MENA countries: Bootstrap panel granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 685-693, January.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- Scott W Hegerty, 2009. "Capital flows to transition economies: what is the role of external shocks?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1345-1358.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Kurozumi, Eiji, 2012. "A simple panel stationarity test in the presence of serial correlation and a common factor," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 31-34.
- Kaddour Hadri & Eiji Kurozumi, 2011. "A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Serial Correlation and a Common Factor," Economics Working Papers 11-01, Queen's Management School, Queen's University Belfast.
- Dumitrescu, Elena-Ivona & Hurlin, Christophe, 2012. "Testing for Granger non-causality in heterogeneous panels," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1450-1460.
- Christophe Hurlin & Elena Dumitrescu, 2012. "Testing for Granger Non-causality in Heterogeneous Panels," Working Papers halshs-00224434, HAL.
- Elena Ivona Dumitrescu & Christophe Hurlin, 2012. "Testing for Granger Non-causality in Heterogeneous Panels," Post-Print hal-01385899, HAL.
- Chorng-Huey Wong & Luis Carranza, 1999. "Policy Responses to External Imbalances in Emerging Market Economies: Further Empirical Results," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(2), pages 1-5.
- Luis Carranza & Chorng-Huey Wong, 1998. "Policy Responses to External Imbalances in Emerging Market Economies; Further Empirical Results," IMF Working Papers 98/103, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Aman Ullah & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "A bias-adjusted LM test of error cross-section independence," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 105-127, March.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Ullah, A. & Yamagata. T., 2006. "A Bias-Adjusted LM Test of Error Cross Section Independence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0641, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Branko Urošević & Milan Nedeljković & Emir Zildžović, 2012. "Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(3), pages 267-281, June.
- Caroline L. Freund, 2000. "Current account adjustment in industrialized countries," International Finance Discussion Papers 692, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fry, M., 1996. "How Foreign Direct Investment in Pacific Asia Improves in Current Account," Papers 96-02, University of Birmingham - International Financial Group.
- Yao, Shujie & Wei, Kailei, 2007. "Economic growth in the presence of FDI: The perspective of newly industrialising economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 211-234, March.
- Ahmed, Elsadig Musa, 2012. "Are the FDI inflow spillover effects on Malaysia's economic growth input driven?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1498-1504.
- Faroque, Akhter & Veloce, William, 1990. "Causality and the Structure of Canada's Balance of Payments: Evidence from Time Series," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 267-283.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J. & Bussière, Matthieu, 2004. "Current accounts dynamics in OECD and EU acceding countries - an intertemporal approach," Working Paper Series 311, European Central Bank.
- Yan, Ho-don, 2007. "Does capital mobility finance or cause a current account imbalance?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Joshua E. Greene & Magda E. Kandil, 2002. "The Impact of Cyclical Factors on the U. S. Balance of Payments," IMF Working Papers 02/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Nathalie Homlong & Elisabeth Springler, 2010. "Economic Development and Foreign Direct Investment: How to Create Sustainable Development An Analysis of the Potential for Sustainable Development on the Indian Subcontinent," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(3), pages 333-347, September.
- Alberto Bagnai & Stefano Manzocchi, 1999. "Current-Account Reversals in Developing Countries: The Role of Fundamentals," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 143-163, May.
- Chien-Chiang Lee & Chun-Ping Chang, 2009. "FDI, financial development, and economic growth: International evidence," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 12, pages 249-271, November.
- Akinlo, A. Enisan, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and growth in Nigeria: An empirical investigation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 627-639, July.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Herzer, Dierk & Klasen, Stephan & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2008. "In search of FDI-led growth in developing countries: The way forward," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 793-810, September.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Panel cointegration tests of the Fisher effect," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 193-233. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:60:y:2013:i:6:p:791-812. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.