Financial Effects of the International Migration in Europe: Modelling the Decision to Remit
This paper analyzes the behaviour of Central and Eastern European migrants regarding money remitting to their country of origin and is based on data provided by the National Immigrant Survey of Spain. In order to analyze the impacts of migrantsâ€™ demographic and economic characteristics on remitting behaviour, the variables employed in the econometric model referred to individual factors, factors that evaluate the migrantâ€™s links with the native country and those that account for the degree of migrantâ€™s integration in Spain. The factors showing a stronger attachment to relatives and the country of origin have a positive impact on the decision to remit and on the remitted amounts, while the factors that point to the integration of the migrant into Spanish society have a negative and smaller impact on the remitting decision.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E B & Stark, Oded, 1985. "Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 901-18, October.
- Zizi GOSCHIN & Monica ROMAN, 2012. "Determinants of the remitting behaviour of Romanian emigrants in an economic crisis context," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 3, pages 87-103, December.
- Holst, Elke & Schrooten, Mechthild, 2006.
"Migration and Money: What determines Remittances? Evidence from Germany,"
Discussion Paper Series
a477, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Elke Holst & Mechthild Schrooten, 2006. "Migration and Money - What Determines Remittances?: Evidence from Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 566, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frédéric, 2005.
"The Economics of Migrants’ Remittances,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1531, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frederic, 2006. "The Economics of Migrants' Remittances," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Alex Julca, 2013. "Can Immigrant Remittances Support Development Finance?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(3), pages 365-380, May.
- Jovan Filipović & Srečko Devjak & Goran Putnik, 2012. "Knowledge Based Economy: The Role of Expert Diaspora," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(3), pages 369-386, June.
- Schiopu, Ioana & Siegfried, Nikolaus, 2006. "Determinants of workers’ remittances: evidence from the European Neighbouring Region," Working Paper Series 0688, European Central Bank.
- Huynh Truong Huy, 2009. "Rural to Urban Migration as a Household Decision: Experimental Evidences from the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," Working Papers 17, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Adams, Richard Jr. & Page, John, 2005. "Do international migration and remittances reduce poverty in developing countries?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1645-1669, October.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2006. "Remittances as insurance: evidence from Mexican immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 19(2), pages 227-254, June.
- Funkhouser, Edward, 1995. "Remittances from International Migration: A Comparison of El Salvador and Nicaragua," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 137-46, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:60:y:2013:i:4:p:541-555. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.