Out of Sample Value-at-Risk and Backtesting with the Standardized Pearson Type-IV Skewed Distribution
This paper studies the efficiency of an econometric model where the volatility is modeled by a GARCH (1,1) process, and the innovations follow a standardized form of the Pearson type-IV distribution. The performance of the model is examined by in sample and out of sample testing, and the accuracy is explored by a variety of Value-at-Risk methods, the success/failure ratio, the Kupiec-LR test, the independence and conditional coverage tests of Christoffersen, the expected shortfall measures, and the dynamic quantile test of Engle and Manganelli. Overall, the proposed model is a valid and accurate model performing better than the skewed Student-t distribution, providing the financial analyst with a good candidate as an alternative distributional scheme.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2001.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
- McMillan, David G. & Kambouroudis, Dimos, 2009. "Are RiskMetrics forecasts good enough? Evidence from 31 stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 117-124, June.
- Fielitz, Bruce D., 1971. "Stationarity of Random Data: Some Implications for the Distribution of Stock Price Changes," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 1025-1034, June.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Nordman, Niklas, 2001.
"Conditional Skewness Modelling for Stock Returns,"
Umeå Economic Studies
562, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Gamini Premaratne, 2005. "A Test for Symmetry with Leptokurtic Financial Data," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 169-187.
- F. Pizzutilo, 2012. "The behaviour of the distributions of stock returns: an analysis of the European market using the Pearson system of continuous probability distributions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(20), pages 1743-1752, October.
- Davidson, James, 2004. "Moment and Memory Properties of Linear Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models, and a New Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22(1), pages 16-29, January.
- Tsiotas, Georgios, 2012. "On generalised asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 151-172, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Y. K. Tse, 1998. "The conditional heteroscedasticity of the yen-dollar exchange rate," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 49-55.
- Laurent, Sebastien & Peters, Jean-Philippe, 2002. " G@RCH 2.2: An Ox Package for Estimating and Forecasting Various ARCH Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 447-85, July.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Bhattacharyya, Malay & Chaudhary, Abhishek & Yadav, Gaurav, 2008. "Conditional VaR estimation using Pearson's type IV distribution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 386-397, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Peter Christoffersen, 2004.
"Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 84-108.
- Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2003. "Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-05, CIRANO.
- Stambaugh, Fred, 1996. "Risk and value at risk," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 612-621, December.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Angelos Kanas & Athanasios P. Papadopoulos, 2010. "Asymmetric Volatility Spillovers between Stock Market and Real Activity: Evidence from the UK and the US," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(4), pages 429-445, December.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- David Ashton & Mark Tippett, 2006. "Mean Reversion and the Distribution of United Kingdom Stock Index Returns," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1586-1609.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Matteo Grigoletto & Francesco Lisi, 2009. "Looking for skewness in financial time series," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(2), pages 310-323, 07.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Anastassios A. Drakos & Georgios P. Kouretas & Leonidas P. Zarangas, 2010. "Forecasting financial volatility of the Athens stock exchange daily returns: an application of the asymmetric normal mixture GARCH model," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 331-350.
- Tang, Ta-Lun & Shieh, Shwu-Jane, 2006. "Long memory in stock index futures markets: A value-at-risk approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 366(C), pages 437-448.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1967. "The Variation of Some Other Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40, pages 393.
- Stavroyiannis, S. & Makris, I. & Nikolaidis, V. & Zarangas, L., 2012. "Econometric modeling and value-at-risk using the Pearson type-IV distribution," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 10-17.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:60:y:2013:i:2:p:231-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.