Are the Determinants of Markup Size Industry-Specific? The Case of Slovenian Manufacturing Firms
The aim of this paper is to identify factors that affect the pricing policy in Slovenian manufacturing firms in terms of the markup size and, most of all, to explicitly account for the possibility of differences in pricing procedures among manufacturing industries. Accordingly, the analysis of the dynamic panel is carried out on an industry-by-industry basis, allowing the coefficients on the markup determinants to vary across industries. We find that the oligopoly theory of markup determination for the most part holds for the manufacturing sector as a whole, although large variability in markup determinants exists across industries within the Slovenian manufacturing. Our main conclusion is that each industry should be investigated separately in detail in order to assess the precise role of markup factors in the markup-determination process.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Martin, Stephen, 2001. "Industrial Organization: A European Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198297284.
- Chen, Natalie & Imbs, Jean & Scott, Andrew, 2009.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 50-62, February.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2006. "The dynamics of trade and competition," Working Paper Research 91, National Bank of Belgium.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2009. "The Dynamics of Trade and Competition," Post-Print hal-00612547, HAL.
- Simon Feeny & Mark Harris & Mark Rogers, 2005. "A dynamic panel analysis of the profitability of Australian tax entities," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 209-233, January.
- Simon Feeny & Mark N. Harris & Joanne Loundes, 2000. "A Dynamic Panel Analysis of the Profitability of Australian Tax Entities," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n22, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- McDonald, James Ted, 1999. "The Determinants of Firm Profitability in Australian Manufacturing," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 115-126, June.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1976. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 267-274, August.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1974. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 044, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Marcos Lima & Marcelo Resende, 2004. "Profit margins and business cycles in the Brazilian industry: a panel data study," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 923-930.
- Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 1993. "Profit Margins and the Business Cycle: Evidence from UK Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 29-50, March.
- K. Oustapassidis & A. Vlachvei, 1999. "Profitability and product differentiation in Greek food industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1293-1298.
- Stephen P. Dunn, 2002. "A Post Keynsian approach to the theory of the firm," Chapters,in: Keynes, Uncertainty and the Global Economy, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:58:y:2011:i:2:p:229-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.