Illiquidity of Frontier Financial Market: Case of Serbia
The paper explores illiquidity of the Serbian financial market for the period of 2005-2009. The financial market in Serbia is, by its type, a frontier market. We used daily data from the BELEXline index, as well as all stocks within this index in examined timeframe, provided by the Belgrade Stock Exchange. Results of this paper suggest that level of market liquidity is low and persistent in Serbia. Additionally, results confirm that time-varying illiquidity and its volatility is highly unstable in this market. This is the first paper that analyses liquidity issues in case of Serbia. It identifies different periods and shows that, in most cases, ups and downs in foreign investors’ participation leads to dramatic falls and rises in market illiquidity and its volatility.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell & Lundblad, Christian T, 2006.
"Liquidity and Expected Returns: Lessons from Emerging Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2007. "Liquidity and Expected Returns: Lessons from Emerging Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(6), pages 1783-1831, November.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2005. "Liquidity and Expected Returns: Lessons From Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 11413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Miller, Merton H, 1988.
" Liquidity and Market Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 617-37, July.
- Jennifer Huang & Jiang Wang, 2008.
"Market Liquidity, Asset Prices and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
14058, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Lesmond, David A & Ogden, Joseph P & Trzcinka, Charles A, 1999. "A New Estimate of Transaction Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1113-41.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:57:y:2010:i:3:p:349-367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.