Using Dynamic Programming Decomposition for Revenue Management with Opaque Products
Opaque products enable service providers to hide specific characteristics of their service fulfillment from the customer until after purchase. Prominent examples include internet-based service providers selling airline tickets without defining details, such as departure time or operating airline, until the booking has been made. Owing to the resulting flexibility in resource utilization, the traditional revenue management process needs to be modified. In this paper, we extend dynamic programming decomposition techniques widely used for traditional revenue management to develop an intuitive capacity control approach that allows for the incorporation of opaque products. In a simulation study, we show that the developed approach significantly outperforms other well-known capacity control approaches adapted to the opaque product setting. Based on the approach, we also provide computational examples of how the share of opaque products as well as the degree of opacity can influence the results.
Volume (Year): 6 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vhbonline.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qian Liu & Garrett van Ryzin, 2008. "On the Choice-Based Linear Programming Model for Network Revenue Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 288-310, October.
- Meissner, Joern & Strauss, Arne, 2012.
"Network revenue management with inventory-sensitive bid prices and customer choice,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 459-468.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss, 2008. "Network Revenue Management with Inventory-Sensitive Bid Prices and Customer Choice," Working Papers MRG/0008, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Apr 2010.
- Guillermo Gallego & Robert Phillips, 2004. "Revenue Management of Flexible Products," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 321-337, January.
- Scott Fay & Jinhong Xie, 2008. "Probabilistic Goods: A Creative Way of Selling Products and Services," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 674-690, 07-08.
- Dmitry Shapiro & Xianwen Shi, 2008.
"Market Segmentation: The Role of Opaque Travel Agencies,"
tecipa-310, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Dmitry Shapiro & Xianwen Shi, 2008. "Market Segmentation: The Role of Opaque Travel Agencies," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 803-837, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vhb:journl:v:6:y:2013:i:1:p:94-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tina Osteneck)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.