Determinants of Advertising Effectiveness: The Development of an International Advertising Elasticity Database and a Meta-Analysis
Increasing demand for marketing accountability requires an efficient allocation of marketing expenditures. Managers who know the elasticity of their marketing instruments can allocate their budgets optimally. Meta-analyses offer a basis for deriving benchmark elasticities for advertising. Although they provide a variety of valuable insights, a major shortcoming of prior meta-analyses is that they report only generalized results as the disaggregated raw data are not made available. This problem is highly relevant because coding of empirical studies, at least to a certain extent, involves subjective judgment. For this reason, meta-studies would be more valuable if researchers and practitioners had access to disaggregated data allowing them to conduct further analyses of individual, e.g., product-level-specific, interests. We are the first to address this gap by providing (1) an advertising elasticity database (AED) and (2) empirical generalizations about advertising elasticities and their determinants. Our findings indicate that the average current-period advertising elasticity is 0.09, which is substantially smaller than the value 0f 0.12 that was recently reported by Sethuraman, Tellis, and Briesch (2011). Furthermore, our meta-analysis reveals a wide range of significant determinants of advertising elasticity. For example, we find that advertising elasticities are higher (i) for hedonic and experience goods than for other goods; (ii) for new than for established goods; (iii) when advertising is measured in gross rating points (GRP) instead of absolute terms; and (iv) when the lagged dependent or lagged advertising variable is omitted.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vhbonline.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowling, Keith & Cubbin, John, 1971. "Price, Quality and Advertising Competition: An Econometric Investigation of the United Kingdom Car Market," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(152), pages 378-94, November.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:00f20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anita Elberse & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 2003. "Demand and Supply Dynamics for Sequentially Released Products in International Markets: The Case of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 329-354.
- Marin C. Gemmill & Joan Costa-Font & Alistair McGuire, 2007. "In search of a corrected prescription drug Elasticity estimate: a meta-regression approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 627-643.
- Michelle Sovinsky Goeree, 2008. "Limited Information and Advertising in the U.S. Personal Computer Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(5), pages 1017-1074, 09.
- Ganesh Iyer & David Soberman & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2005. "The Targeting of Advertising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 461-476, May.
- Craig A. Gallet & John A. List, 2003. "Cigarette demand: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(10), pages 821-835.
- Koen Pauwels, 2004. "How Dynamic Consumer Response, Competitor Response, Company Support, and Company Inertia Shape Long-Term Marketing Effectiveness," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 596-610, June.
- Steven M. Shugan, 2004. "Endogeneity in Marketing Decision Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 1-3.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Seo, Seong-Cheon & Nichols, John P., 1997. "On The Estimation Of Advertising Effects For Branded Products: An Application To Spaghetti Sauces," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Metwally, M M, 1975. "Advertising and Competitive Behaviour of Selected Australian Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(4), pages 417-27, November.
- Moshe Givon & Dan Horsky, 1990. "Untangling the Effects of Purchase Reinforcement and Advertising Carryover," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 171-187.
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 1983. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 203-238.
- Andrew Ainslie & Xavier Drèze & Fred Zufryden, 2005. "Modeling Movie Life Cycles and Market Share," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 508-517, November.
- Nelson, Phillip J, 1975. "The Economic Consequences of Advertising," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 213-41, April.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Günter Hitsch & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Advertising Dynamics," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 107-144, June.
- David Besanko & Sachin Gupta & Dipak Jain, 1998. "Logit Demand Estimation Under Competitive Pricing Behavior: An Equilibrium Framework," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-1), pages 1533-1547, November.
- Harsharanjeet S. Jagpal & Ivan E. Brick, 1982. "The Marketing Mix Decision Under Uncertainty," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(1), pages 79-92.
- Winer, Russell S, 1979. "An Analysis of the Time-varying Effects of Advertising: The Case of Lydia Pinkham," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 563-76, October.
- Robert P. Leone, 1995. "Generalizing What Is Known About Temporal Aggregation and Advertising Carryover," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G141-G150.
- Vanhonacker, Wilfried R., 1989. "Modeling the effect of advertising on price response: An econometric framework and some preliminary findings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 127-149, September.
- Demetrios Vakratsas & Fred M. Feinberg & Frank M. Bass & Gurumurthy Kalyanaram, 2004. "The Shape of Advertising Response Functions Revisited: A Model of Dynamic Probabilistic Thresholds," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 109-119, April.
- Mohanbir S. Sawhney & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 1996. "A Parsimonious Model for Forecasting Gross Box-Office Revenues of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages 113-131.
- Tellis, Gerard J., 2005. "Advertising's Role in Capitalist Markets: What Do We Know and Where Do We Go from Here?," Journal of Advertising Research, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 162-170, June.
- David B. Montgomery & Alvin J. Silk, 1972. "Estimating Dynamic Effects of Market Communications Expenditures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(10), pages B485-B501, June.
- Toker Doganoglu & Daniel Klapper, 2006. "Goodwill and dynamic advertising strategies," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-29, March.
- John U. Farley & Donald R. Lehmann & Alan Sawyer, 1995. "Empirical Marketing Generalization Using Meta-Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G36-G46.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2001. "Endogeneity and Heterogeneity in a Probit Demand Model: Estimation Using Aggregate Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(4), pages 442-456, December.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "Differences in Dynamic Brand Competition Across Markets: An Empirical Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 81-95, September.
- Lyman, R Ashley, 1994. "Advertising and Sales Promotion in Electricity," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 41-58, February.
- Lambin, Jean-Jacques, 1969. "Measuring the Profitability of Advertising: An Empirical Study," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 86-103, April.
- Marnik G. Dekimpe & Dominique M. Hanssens, 1995. "The Persistence of Marketing Effects on Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(1), pages 1-21.
- Lester G. Telser, 1962. "Advertising and Cigarettes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 471.
- Vinay Kanetkar & Charles B. Weinberg & Doyle L. Weiss, 1992. "Price Sensitivity and Television Advertising Exposures: Some Empirical Findings," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 359-371.
- Tülin Erdem & Michael P. Keane & Baohong Sun, 2008. "A Dynamic Model of Brand Choice When Price and Advertising Signal Product Quality," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 1111-1125, 11-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vhb:journl:v:4:y:2011:i:2:p:193-239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tina Osteneck)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.