A Sectoral System of Innovation Analysis of Technological Upgrading in the Food Processing Sector in Argentina, Brazil and Chile
This paper analyzes innovation in firms using a Sectoral System of Innovation approach on the food processing sector in Argentina, Brazil and Chile. The principal component analysis performed using data from the World Bank Investment Climate Survey shows that firms’ knowledge bases have evolved largely through acquiring new equipment and foreign technology, while the embedding institutions have impeded rather than assisted innovation. The Probit estimation results confirm that only a few of the sectoral system of innovation variables have had a positive impact on innovation. Overall, the evidence shows that these countries should invest more on indigenous capabilities, thus effecting institutional change for facilitating innovation.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riccardo Crescenzi, 2005. "Innovation and Regional Growth in the Enlarged Europe: The Role of Local Innovative Capabilities, Peripherality, and Education," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 471-507.
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula, 2008.
"A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: aggregating Cohen and Levinthal,"
The European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 56-73.
- Narula Rajneesh & Criscuolo Paola, 2002. "A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: Aggregating Cohen and Levinthal," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bas ter Weel & L. Soete & B. Verspagen, 2010.
"Systems of innovation,"
CPB Discussion Paper
138, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Reardon, Thomas & Codron, Jean-Marie & Busch, Lawrence & Bingen, R. James & Harris, Craig, 1999. "Global Change In Agrifood Grades And Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses In Developing Countries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 2(03/04).
- Bisang, Roberto & Gutman, Graciela E., 2005. "The accumulation process and agrofood networks in Latin America," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Crespi, Gustavo Atilio & Katz, Jorge & Stumpo, Giovanni & Benavente H., José Miguel, 1996.
"New problems and opportunities for industrial development in Latin America,"
Sede de la CEPAL en Santiago (Estudios e Investigaciones)
34584, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Jose Miguel Benavente & Gustavo Crespi & Jorge Katz & Giovanni Stumpo, 1997. "New problems and opportunities for industrial development in Latin America," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 261-277.
- W. Bruce Traill & Matthew Meulenberg, 2001. "Innovation in the food industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-21.
- Franco Malerba & Fabio Montobbio, 2004. "Structural Change in Innovative Activities in Four Leading Sectors. An Interpretation of the Stylized Facts," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(6), pages 1051-1070.
- Sunding, David & Zilberman, David, 2001. "The agricultural innovation process: Research and technology adoption in a changing agricultural sector," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 207-261 Elsevier.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Mammo Muchie & Angathevar Baskaran, 2009. "The National Technology System Framework: Sanjaya Lall’s Contribution to Appreciative Theory," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 1(1), pages 134-155, June.
- Bjorn Johnson & Edward Lorenz & B.-A. Lundvall, 2002.
"Why all this Fuss about Codified and Tacit Knowledge?,"
- Bj–rn Johnson & Edward Lorenz & Bengt-Åke Lundvall, 2002. "Why all this fuss about codified and tacit knowledge?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 245-262.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Bell, Martin, 2005. "The micro-determinants of meso-level learning and innovation: evidence from a Chilean wine cluster," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 47-68, February.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005.
"Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters," Working Papers 72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- T K Marsden & A Arce, 1995. "Constructing Quality: Emerging Food Networks in the Rural Transition," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 27(8), pages 1261-1279, August.
- Teitel, Simon, 1984. "Technology creation in semi-industrial economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 39-61.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:3:y:2011:i:2:p:287-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.