Foreign Firms and Indonesian Manufacturing Wages: An Analysis with Panel Data
This article examines the effect of foreign direct investment (FDI) on wages in Indonesian manufacturing. An econometric analysis of a panel of plants between 1975 and 1999 finds that both foreign ownership throughout the period and foreign takeover resulted in higher wages relative to domestically owned plants. The wage effects for white-collar employees were typically around twice those for blue-collar employees. The effect of foreign ownership on wages differed among sectors but was always positive.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Fredrik Sjoholm, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Wages in Indonesian Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 8299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark E. Doms & J . Bradford Jensen, 1998. "Comparing Wages, Skills, and Productivity between Domestically and Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Establishments in the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Geography and Ownership as Bases for Economic Accounting, pages 235-258 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1990.
"Unions, taxes and the structure of multinational enterprises,"
Other publications TiSEM
8cd298e3-9d99-4d59-871e-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1990. "Unions, taxes and the structure of multinational enterprises," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 73-75, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:y:2006:v:55:i:1:p:201-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.