Taxation, Portfolio Choice, and Debt-Equity Ratios: A General Equilibrium Model
This paper explores the portfolio behavior of investors differing with respect to both tax rates and risk-aversion, emphasizing the role of constraints on individual and firm behavior in ensuring the existence of and characterizing portfolio equilibrium. Under certain conditions on the securities available in the market, which also are required for shareholders to be unanimous in supporting firm value maximization, investors will be segmented by tax rate into two groups, one specialized in equity and the other in debt. Though the relative wealths of the two groups determines the aggregate debt-equity ratio, each firm will be indifferent to its financial policy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 98 (1983)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00335533|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Roger H. Gordon & David F. Bradford, 1980.
"Taxation and the stock market valuation of capital gains and dividends : Theory and emphirical results,"
in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 109-136
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Bradford, David F., 1980. "Taxation and the stock market valuation of capital gains and dividends : Theory and emphirical results," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 109-136, October.
- King, Mervyn A, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35, January.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1979.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-46, August.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Mervyn A. King, 1979. "Corporate Financial Policy, Taxes, and Uncertainty: An Integration," NBER Working Papers 0324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:4:p:587-609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.