Monotone Comparative Statics Under Uncertainty
This paper analyzes monotone comparative statics predictions in several classes of stochastic optimization problems. The main results characterize necessary and sufficient conditions for comparative statics predictions to hold based on properties of primitive functions, that is, utility functions and probability distributions. The results apply when the primitives satisfy one of the following two properties: (i) a single-crossing property, which arises in applications such as portfolio investment problems and auctions, or (ii) log-supermodularity, which arises in the analysis of demand functions, affiliated random variables, stochastic orders, and orders over risk aversion. © 2001 the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 117 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00335533|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1981.
"Good News and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 380-391, Autumn.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1979. "Good Nevs and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications," Discussion Papers 407R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- John Quiggin & Robert G. Chambers, 2003.
"Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR03_5, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Robert Chambers & J. Quiggin, 2008. "Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 203-214, March.
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 150351, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Ormiston, Michael B. & Schlee, Edward E., 1992. "Necessary conditions for comparative statics under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 429-434, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2003.
"Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
03-006, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven Matthews, 2003. "Moral hazard and capital structure dynamics," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9629, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2002. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," Penn CARESS Working Papers dfdfbbfe0a5b0e04217a58a93, Penn Economics Department.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Legros, Patrick & Matthews, Steven A, 2002. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 3487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark Westerfield, 2003.
"The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders,"
NBER Working Papers
9434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen A. Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark M. Westerfield, 2006. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 195-229, 02.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross, 2004. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," 2004 Meeting Papers 35, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kogan, Leonid & Ross, Stephen & Wang, Jiang & Westerfield, Mark, 2003. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Working papers 4293-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Saak, Alexander, 2004.
"Spatial and Temporal Marketing Considerations Under Marketing Loan Programs,"
Staff General Research Papers
11884, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alexander E. Saak, 2003. "Spatial and Temporal Marketing Considerations under Marketing Loan Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 872-887.
- Jutta Roosen & David A. Hennessy, 2003.
"Tests for the Role of Risk Aversion on Input Use,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 30-43.
- Roosen, Jutta & Hennessy, David A., 2003. "Tests for the Role of Risk Aversion on Input Use," Staff General Research Papers 10071, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Roosen, Jutta & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Tests For The Role Of Risk Aversion On Input Use," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20498, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jorge Ibarra-Salazar, 2005.
"The Newsboy Model: Changes in Risk and Price,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 99-109, June.
- Ignacio Esponda, 2008. "Behavioral Equilibrium in Economies with Adverse Selection," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1269-91, September.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian, 1995. "Demand for Risky Assets and the Monotone Probability Ratio Order," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 113-22, September.
- Karlin, Samuel & Rinott, Yosef, 1980. "Classes of orderings of measures and related correlation inequalities. I. Multivariate totally positive distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 467-498, December.
- Ormiston Michael B. & Schlee Edward E., 1993. "Comparative Statics under Uncertainty for a Class of Economic Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 412-422, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:qjecon:v:117:y:2002:i:1:p:187-223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.