Monotone Comparative Statics Under Uncertainty
This paper analyzes monotone comparative statics predictions in several classes of stochastic optimization problems. The main results characterize necessary and sufficient conditions for comparative statics predictions to hold based on properties of primitive functions, that is, utility functions and probability distributions. The results apply when the primitives satisfy one of the following two properties: (i) a single-crossing property, which arises in applications such as portfolio investment problems and auctions, or (ii) log-supermodularity, which arises in the analysis of demand functions, affiliated random variables, stochastic orders, and orders over risk aversion. © 2001 the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Volume (Year): 117 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00335533|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kogan, Leonid & Ross, Stephen & Wang, Jiang & Westerfield, Mark, 2003.
"The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders,"
4293-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen A. Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark M. Westerfield, 2006. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 195-229, 02.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross & Jiang Wang & Mark Westerfield, 2003. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," NBER Working Papers 9434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonid Kogan & Stephen Ross, 2004. "The Price Impact and Survival of Irrational Traders," 2004 Meeting Papers 35, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Roosen, Jutta & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Tests For The Role Of Risk Aversion On Input Use,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20498, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- John Quiggin & Robert G. Chambers, 2003.
"Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR03_5, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Robert Chambers & J. Quiggin, 2008. "Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 203-214, March.
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Comparative statics for state-contingent technologies," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 150351, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1979.
"Good Nevs and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications,"
407R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1981. "Good News and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 380-391, Autumn.
- Alexander E. Saak, 2003.
"Spatial and Temporal Marketing Considerations under Marketing Loan Programs,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 872-887.
- Saak, Alexander, 2004. "Spatial and Temporal Marketing Considerations Under Marketing Loan Programs," Staff General Research Papers 11884, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian, 1995. "Demand for Risky Assets and the Monotone Probability Ratio Order," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 113-22, September.
- Ormiston, Michael B. & Schlee, Edward E., 1992. "Necessary conditions for comparative statics under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 429-434, December.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Legros, Patrick & Matthews, Steven A, 2002.
"Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven Matthews, 2003. "Moral hazard and capital structure dynamics," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9629, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2002. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," Penn CARESS Working Papers dfdfbbfe0a5b0e04217a58a93, Penn Economics Department.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2003. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-006, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ignacio Esponda, 2008. "Behavioral Equilibrium in Economies with Adverse Selection," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1269-91, September.
- Ormiston Michael B. & Schlee Edward E., 1993. "Comparative Statics under Uncertainty for a Class of Economic Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 412-422, December.
- Jorge Ibarra-Salazar, 2005.
"The Newsboy Model: Changes in Risk and Price,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 99-109, June.
- Karlin, Samuel & Rinott, Yosef, 1980. "Classes of orderings of measures and related correlation inequalities. I. Multivariate totally positive distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 467-498, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:qjecon:v:117:y:2002:i:1:p:187-223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.