Can There Be Short-Period Deterministic Cycles When People Are Long Lived?
This paper considers whether short-period deterministic cycles can exist in a class of stationary overlapping generations models with long- (but finite-) lived agents. It shows that if agents discount the future positively, then as life spans get large, nonmonetary cycles will disappear. Further, neither constant monetary steady states, nor stationary monetary cycles, can exist. It also shows that if agents discount the future negatively, then there are robust examples in which constant monetary steady states, as well as stationary monetary cycles, (with undiminished amplitude) can occur no matter how long agents live. Copyright 1989, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Volume (Year): 104 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00335533|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Rao Aiyagari, S., 1988.
"Nonmonetary steady states in stationary overlapping generations models with long lived agents and discounting: Multiplicity, optimality, and consumption smoothing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 102-127, June.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1987. "Nonmonetary steady states in stationary overlapping generations models with long lived agents and discounting: multiplicity, optimality, and consumption smoothing," Working Papers 325, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Spear, Stephen E., 1984. "Sufficient conditions for the existence of sunspot equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 360-370, December.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1981. "Self-fulfilling prophecies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 380-396, December.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:qjecon:v:104:y:1989:i:1:p:163-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.