Improving Access to Early Stage Venture Capital in Regional Economies: A New Approach to Investment Readiness
It is now recognised that many businesses are unsuccessful in raising equity finance because they are not investment ready. This has prompted enterprise support organisations in various countries to develop investment ready programmes. In the UK, the emphasis of these programmes is on providing information on sources of finance and how to access them, and on presentational skills. These are necessary but not sufficient conditions to get a business investment ready because they do not address business development issues which discourage potential investors. These issues are generally company specific and often require the input of significant expertise in order to make a company investable. This paper reviews LINC Scotland's approach, which is based on investment facilitation. It suggests that this approach does effectively address the business development support component of investment readiness at limited public cost and provides useful lessons for the design of investment ready programmes.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/rlce20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/subscription.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Does Venture Capital Spur Innovation?," NBER Working Papers 6846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freear, John & Wetzel, William Jr., 1990. "Who bankrolls high-tech entrepreneurs?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 77-89, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Cressy, Robert & Olofsson, Christer, 1997. " The Financial Conditions for Swedish SMEs: Survey and Research Agenda," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 179-94, April.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:loceco:v:19:y:2004:i:2:p:159-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.