Local Responses to Long-term Unemployment: Delivering Access to Employment in Edinburgh
This paper examines locally developed policy responses to long-term unemployment in the city of Edinburgh: a labour market characterised by relatively low-unemployment and generally high levels of demand. Drawing upon in-depth interviews with 115 long-term unemployed people residing in the city, the paper first analyses the complex combination of barriers to work faced by members of this client group. Two recent labour market initiatives, developed by the local authority in partnership with other public and third sector agencies and (in one case) major employers, are then discussed. It is suggested that this locally focused, partnership-based approach may provide a useful model for local policy responses to long-term unemployment, particularly in buoyant labour markets.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/rlce20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/subscription.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward A. Fieldhouse & Virinder S. Kalra & Saima Alam, 2002. "How new is the New Deal? A qualitative study of the New Deal for Young People on minority ethnic groups in Oldham," Local Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 50-64, February.
- Ronald W McQuaid & Colin Lindsay, 2002. "The 'employability gap': long-term unemployment and barriers to work in buoyant labour markets," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(4), pages 613-628, August.
- Alan Manning, 1999.
"Pretty vacant: recruitment in low wage labour markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20231, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Manning, Alan, 2000. " Pretty Vacant: Recruitment in Low-Wage Labour Markets," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 747-70, Special I.
- Alan Manning, 1999. "Pretty Vacant: Recruitment in Low Wage Labour Markets," CEP Discussion Papers dp0418, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:183 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Adams, Malcolm Greig, Ronald W. McQuaid, 2001. "Are Spatially Focused Initiatives in Current Economic Inclusion Policies Well Founded?," Local Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 236-248, September.
- Martin Jones, Anne Gray, 2001. "Social Capital, or Local Workfarism? Reflections on Employment Zones," Local Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 178-186, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:loceco:v:18:y:2003:i:2:p:159-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.