The effects of foreign borrowing policies on economic growth: success or failure?
Foreign savings closely interact with economic performance. External loans are partly influenced by the government's attempt to balance its budget. This study investigates the relationship between public sector foreign borrowing and economic growth. Results indicate that only under circumstances of (1) moderate income tax rates to guarantee the solvency of external loans and (2) households having the patience to substitute consumption between different periods can domestic government finance fiscal deficits by borrowing abroad, and thereby enhance investment and economic growth. Otherwise, additional foreign borrowing is associated with higher indebtedness and slower economic growth.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GPRE19|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2002.
"Decentralization and corruption: evidence across countries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 325-345, March.
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2000. "Decentralization and corruption - evidence across countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2290, The World Bank.
- Jensen, Svend Erik Hougaard & Bo Nielsen, Soren & Pedersen, Lars Haagen & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1996. "Tax policy, housing and the labour market: An intertemporal simulation approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 355-382, July.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1997.
"Quantifying the Current U.S. Fiscal Imbalance,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 50(3), pages 387-98, September.
- Robert Solomon, 1977. "A Perspective on the Debt of Deveoloping Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 8(2), pages 479-510.
- Cargill, Thomas F. & Parker, Elliott, 2002. "Asian finance and the role of bankruptcy: a model of the transition costs of financial liberalization," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 297-318.
- Danny Cassimon & Bjorn Van Campenhout, 2007.
"Aid Effectiveness, Debt Relief and Public Finance Response: Evidence from a Panel of HIPC Countries,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 143(4), pages 742-763, December.
- Cassimon, Danny & Van Campenhout, Bjorn, 2006. "Aid Effectiveness, Debt Relief and Public Finance Response: Evidence from a panel of HIPC Countries," IOB Working Papers 2006.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E & Rossi, Peter E, 1993. "Optimal Taxation in Models of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 485-517, June.
- Verdier, Genevieve, 2008.
"What drives long-term capital flows A theoretical and empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 120-142, January.
- Genevieve Verdier, 2003. "What Drives Long-term Capital Flows? A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Macroeconomics 0310011, EconWPA, revised 14 Jul 2005.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1999.
"On the role of government in a stochastically growing open economy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 873-908, April.
- Stephen Turnovsky, 1998. "On the Role of Government in a Stochastically Growing Open Economy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0073, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Stephen Turnovsky, 1998. "On the Role of Government in a Stochastically Growing Open Economy," Working Papers 0073, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Athanasios Vamvakidis, 2008. "External debt and economic reform: does a pain reliever delay the necessary treatment?," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 187-199.
- Ortigueira, Salvador, 2003. "Equipment prices, human capital and economic growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 307-329, November.
- Cassimon, Danny & van Campenhout, Bjorn, 2007. "Aid Effectiveness, Debt Relief and Public Finance Response: Evidence from a Panel of HIPCs," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1993. "Fiscal Deficits and Macroeconomic Performance in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 211-37, July.
- Peter J. Montiel & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1994. "The Parallel Market Premium: Is It a Reliable Indicator of Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in Developing Countries?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(1), pages 55-75, March.
- Athanasios Vamvakidis, 2008. "External debt and economic reform: does a pain reliever delay the necessary treatment?," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 187-199.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jpolrf:v:12:y:2009:i:4:p:273-284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.